British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr T

1887 two pound varieties

I recently read a couple of articles in Coin News about 1887 two pound varieties (A very rare Victoria 1887 Gold Two-Pound variation from June 2018 and Rare variety Taking a fresh look at the Victoria Jubilee Head 1887 £2 from August 2018).

These articles both make reference to an article - “Two Pound Pieces of 1887” by G. Dyer and R. Lubbock - in IAPN Publication No.8 and that seems to be the only place where these varieties are actually properly documented (both the articles in Coin News allude to the different obverse and reverse dies without going into a whole lot of detail). Anyone know if these details have been reproduced elsewhere? I don't want to go hunting down an out of print book just for single article in it.

You might be able to order a copy from your local library if they operate in the same manner as over here. You would be looking at maybe £100 or so to buy - it has 28 articles.

No such luck - my state library doesn't have a copy and nor do the interstate ones I'd have a chance of visiting.

47 minutes ago, Mr T said:

No such luck - my state library doesn't have a copy and nor do the interstate ones I'd have a chance of visiting.

Have you checked with your local library about an inter-library loan?

I have the whole lot photographed direct from a copy Dyer let me borrow and have both articles as well. There are other £2 pieces not mentioned notably the one with concave milling London Coins 6th. Aug 2010 auction 129 lot 1993. ex Davies. I have not worked out how to do a private messages so will not put details here.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 5:38 PM, Madness said:

Have you checked with your local library about an inter-library loan?

No, I figured if my local state library didn't have it my local library probably wouldn't be able to get a hold of it.

20 hours ago, 1887jubilee said:

I have the whole lot photographed direct from a copy Dyer let me borrow and have both articles as well. There are other £2 pieces not mentioned notably the one with concave milling London Coins 6th. Aug 2010 auction 129 lot 1993. ex Davies. I have not worked out how to do a private messages so will not put details here.

Thanks.

@Mr T

This is probably of no value to you now, but I've found two Australian Universities that hold a copy each: Macquaire  and The University of Western Australia.  

http://www.worldcat.org/title/numismatics-witness-to-history-articles-by-members-of-the-iapn-to-commemorate-its-35th-anniversary-la-numismatique-temoin-de-lhistoire-articles-de-membres-de-lainp-pour-le-35e-anniversaire-de-lassociation/oclc/18712890

Oh nice - didn't even think of university libraries (not that either is convenient but oh well).