British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Madness

Assistance with Die Study - 1787 Shillings & Sixpences

I'm in the early stages of conducting die studies of 1787 shillings and 1787 sixpences.  Do you have any examples of these coins?  It would be awesome if you could post images of these in this thread, both obverse and reverse.  High resolution scans are preferable to photos for this purpose, although I'd be very happy with whatever is most convenient for you.

By way of thanks, provided you are interested, I'll let you know where your coin/s fit in to the results.

Edited by Madness

Here is my only one a sixpence to start the ball rolling.

1101881777_GeorgeIIISixpenceRevWeb.jpg.03d20baadb7bb67db115271abd980b9f.jpg263632478_GeorgeIIISixpenceObvWeb.jpg.b875931be74eb052b59673918bb7a2aa.jpg

• Like 1

Sixpence:

767427146_1787sixpenceobv.thumb.jpg.307667600e883740e918920368043623.jpg1480740458_1787sixpencerev.thumb.jpg.bd65807fa8f745b4bc03ee2045460457.jpg

• Like 1

Start with a Shilling

1787 Shilling NH.jpg

a NH Sixpence

1787 Sixpence NH.jpg

• Like 1

and lastly a WH Sixpence

1787 Sixpence WH.jpg

• Like 1

OK - My contributions (4 coins in all).

First Sixpence without Hearts:

1787 without semee 6D 1 Red.JPG

1787 without semee 6D 2 Red.JPG

• Like 1

Then Sixpence with Hearts:

1787 with semee 6D 1 Red.JPG

1787 with semee 6D 2 Red.JPG

• Like 1

Then Shilling without Hearts:

1787 S Without Semee 1 Red.JPG

1787 S Without Semee 2 Red.JPG

And lastly Shilling with Hearts:

1787 S With Semee 1 Red.JPG

1787 S With Semee 2 Red.JPG

That's awesome, thanks @declanwmagee !  Thanks everyone.  The more the merrier!  I have about 280 at the moment.

Edited by Madness
  • Like 1

Thank you @Nonmortuus.  Splendid coins.  

Edited by Madness
  • Thanks 1

I stated a study some years ago but dropped it again as it got too expensive for me. I have scans of about 32 different die pairs of the shilling and 21 of the sixpence. The only interesting thing I noticed back then was two different types of the D in DEI on obverse on the shilling. Please send a PM if you're interested in all my scans.
1011_111.thumb.jpg.a62eb8c9481bbf3b83bddee0c1e3a0ba.jpg

5 minutes ago, seuk said:

I stated a study some years ago but dropped it again as it got too expensive for me. I have scans of about 32 different die pairs of the shilling and 21 of the sixpence. The only interesting thing I noticed back then was two different types of the D in DEI on obverse on the shilling. Please send a PM if you're interested in all my scans.
1011_111.thumb.jpg.a62eb8c9481bbf3b83bddee0c1e3a0ba.jpg

I'd love to see all your scans!  Thank you.  At the moment I'm concentrating on the sixpences, so it would be great if I could have access to these images.  

Edited by Madness

1 hour ago, Madness said:

I'd love to see all your scans!  Thank you.  At the moment I'm concentrating on the sixpences, so it would be great if I could have access to these images.  

Sure - Perhaps it's easier by mail than uploading them here?2013_202.1.thumb.jpg.61776b69cbd6fc925d8dc5ec3cbd60bd.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed so far, especially @seuk for his many images.  The database now stands at a bit over three hundred and thirty 1787 sixpences.  More representative images welcome!  If I can find more than five hundred I'll be a very happy chap.  

• Like 1

OK.  The database now has, frustratingly, 493 coins.  I'm at the point where each coin I see is ultimately from a source I've already searched.  It would be awesome if forum members could contribute images of 7 more coins.  

Thanks!

1787 sixpence (with hearts) I once obtained in a job lot.

1787-6d-o.jpg

1787-6d-r.jpg

Edited by Nick
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who's helped out by providing images.  I've just emailed each of you a copy of some prelim findings re reverse features.  Please let me know if you missed out or have trouble opening the PDF.  

I'm happy to answer questions about this document, just not publicly at this stage.  Please contact me via PM for this purpose.  

Nathan

• Like 2