British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Lotad

Strike your coin from the Royal Mint Experience

Does anyone know a site that tracks the info about these coins? I'm interested to know what coins there were and how many were minted.

I think these are ones so far:

2016 Last Round Pound

2017 New Pound

2017 Isaac Newton 50p

2018 Isaac Newton 50p

2018 Harry & Megan £5

2018 Britannia £2

I think I remember seeing an estimate of 25,000 - 30,000 for the 2018 Isaac Newton 50p, don't know how accurate that is though.

The trouble here is that I don't think the RM will seperate the figures for the SYO coins - although for an organisation of their standing, I would have thought it should be compulsory in this day and age.

The only one which will probably stand out, when they get to it, willl be the 2018 Isaac Newton, as none for this year were minted for circulation.

addendum:

I guess the largest factor here for RM figures is that they are for coins entering circulation, and anything SYO is not, so I doubt we'll see any figures at all.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
Claret-y

What's SYO please?  Had a go at looking it up but gave up at Sydney Youth Orchestra.

42 minutes ago, Cliff said:

What's SYO please?  Had a go at looking it up but gave up at Sydney Youth Orchestra.

A few options:

Singing Yaks' Organisation 

Strident Youthful Occultists

Splendid Yodelling Oncologists 

Salubrious Yam Omelets

Slimy Yesterday's Oatmeal

Sceptical Yearly Optimists

See Your Optometrist

• Like 1

modern coins don't float my boat....although I bought a kew gardens 50p in BU for £3.50 back in the day.😊

4 hours ago, Peter said:

modern coins don't float my boat....although I bought a kew gardens 50p in BU for £3.50 back in the day.😊

Git :)

But on that note, the £2 Captain Cook is actually the best modern coin I've seen in ages.

16 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Git :)

But on that note, the £2 Captain Cook is actually the best modern coin I've seen in ages.

Should of bought a few more of those pesky 50p's and converted them to pre 1860 cu.😢

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 10:31 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Indeed, that would have been a good way to generate some easy upgrade!

I did that as well - horified to see price of kews now.......😥😥

On 9/10/2018 at 8:46 AM, copper123 said:

I did that as well - horified to see price of kews now.......😥😥

Don't be horrified. Welcome it 😗 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Kew-Gardens-50p-250th-Anniversary-Fifty-Pence-MS69-DPL-Great-Britain-UK-BU/312254460851?hash=item48b3d0f3b3:g:m34AAOSwfr1btKsg

Edited by markflorida

5 hours ago, markflorida said:

this deep proof like business refers to bu coins ?   and they are dpl because of the new dies and they are bu or can you find dpl in coins intended for circulation ?? or they have had some finishing done to the dies ?  

because i got the silver ironside penny for this year and although it was bu it has proof like lettering and crown, when i asked the rm they said they were bu, so are they called dpl ?

P1030380(1).jpg

P1030381.jpg

Edited by craigy

They are intended for circulation. They are business strikes, not proof strikes. Over the last few years the Royal Mints marketing department has come up with all sorts of fancy names. There was only Business strikes or Proofs. The proofs were intended for the monarchs to give to other monarchs and rulers as gifts. Caesar started gifting coins. Hence; The Hobby of Kings.

Later proofs became available for collectors and mints around the globe have made business strikes and proofs. More recently the Royal Mint on its Sovereigns has started , Proof, Brilliant Uncirculated and Bullion. = Three strikes. However in the real world, the so-called Brilliant Uncirculated are just expensive bullion coins, I have had some graded they come back MS60 - MS70. If you get a bullion coins graded they come back the same grades and are worth the same. That said the BU strike is a nice looking coin.

A DPL (Deep Proof Like) is a standard business or bullion strike that is PL (Proof Like) but extremely for want of a better word, Shinny. Thus DPL.

The Penny you have is beautiful and if graded would probably come back DPL, Its almost cameo in appearance. Send it into NGC or PCGS. DPL coins fetch more money and are more sort after than ordinary MS coins. Most of my buyers constantly pay more for the DPL grade.

8 hours ago, markflorida said:

They are intended for circulation. They are business strikes, not proof strikes. Over the last few years the Royal Mints marketing department has come up with all sorts of fancy names. There was only Business strikes or Proofs. The proofs were intended for the monarchs to give to other monarchs and rulers as gifts. Caesar started gifting coins. Hence; The Hobby of Kings.

Later proofs became available for collectors and mints around the globe have made business strikes and proofs. More recently the Royal Mint on its Sovereigns has started , Proof, Brilliant Uncirculated and Bullion. = Three strikes. However in the real world, the so-called Brilliant Uncirculated are just expensive bullion coins, I have had some graded they come back MS60 - MS70. If you get a bullion coins graded they come back the same grades and are worth the same. That said the BU strike is a nice looking coin.

A DPL (Deep Proof Like) is a standard business or bullion strike that is PL (Proof Like) but extremely for want of a better word, Shinny. Thus DPL.

The Penny you have is beautiful and if graded would probably come back DPL, Its almost cameo in appearance. Send it into NGC or PCGS. DPL coins fetch more money and are more sort after than ordinary MS coins. Most of my buyers constantly pay more for the DPL grade.

have ha;f a dozen coins i'd like to get slabbed by ngc, was waiting for the office to open at spinks london but alas not yet, would love to get this half crown slabbed and the crown 

5ab4276e78487_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.c525095aa5cab33c0f865531425658d3.jpg

5ab4276441917_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.03be058450b3b4343b2f8a126c47c47f.jpg

20621819_10154595704746020_580676321911885621_n.jpg.25d836f9fb202358c22b6b6cf14766cf.jpg

and the sixpence,     

P1030420.jpg

• Like 1

The NGC office is open now and has been for two weeks.

3 hours ago, markflorida said:

The NGC office is open now and has been for two weeks.

at spinks ? do i still have to enroll with ngc or can you submit thru spinks and do you know where it is done

cant see anything online about it

18 hours ago, craigy said:

at spinks ? do i still have to enroll with ngc or can you submit thru spinks and do you know where it is done

cant see anything online about it

There is a few ways to do it. I'm an authorised dealer but currently do not take other peoples coins I have enough of my own to work with. 1. You can join with a membership. 2. You can go via Heritage auctions (ha.com) They are in London and accept submissions, contact them on their own site. 3. Another UK dealer runs a group on Facebook, he takes submissions for you. Below is the link. I will inform him of this page. I hope this helps. Mark..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1228646177276223/?multi_permalinks=1251345921672915%2C1251055145035326%2C1251027138371460&notif_id=1539101138614460&notif_t=group_activity

Edited by markflorida

Gave a friend who was visiting South Wales a tenner to get me a coin struck, as she was visiting the Royal MInt at Llantrisant. She went yesterday and called me to say what a fantastic experience it was. The coin she got struck for me was the Mary Shelley £2 commemorative, and she was told that currency coins of the same type "probably" won't be issued for circulation, which surprised me. I did a little bit of research but could find nothing, other than there seem to be two other 2018 commemorative £2.00 coins, one for the centenary of the RAF, and the other for the centenary of the 1918 armistice.

Not a biggie, but out of interest is anybody able to cast any light on whether or not these commemorative £2.00 coins will be issued as currency strikes for circulation?

Thanks. 

I visited the RM the October of the first round of visits, I struck the last Round £1 coin and it was advertised that only 100,000 will be issued for that coin exclusively to the first visitors, after which the RM issued several other commemoratives using the same coin design. I would keep it in the RM packaging to keep any additional collector value as I am sure the RM will issue more in commemorative packs if not for circulation.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 9:34 AM, 1949threepence said:

Gave a friend who was visiting South Wales a tenner to get me a coin struck, as she was visiting the Royal MInt at Llantrisant. She went yesterday and called me to say what a fantastic experience it was. The coin she got struck for me was the Mary Shelley £2 commemorative, and she was told that currency coins of the same type "probably" won't be issued for circulation, which surprised me. I did a little bit of research but could find nothing, other than there seem to be two other 2018 commemorative £2.00 coins, one for the centenary of the RAF, and the other for the centenary of the 1918 armistice.

Not a biggie, but out of interest is anybody able to cast any light on whether or not these commemorative £2.00 coins will be issued as currency strikes for circulation?

Thanks. 

She gave me the coin today (cost £5 not £10 so got a fiver back). Whilst I was very pleased to receive the coin, I was a bit disappointed as the die it was struck from, was obviously very worn. Much of the lettering is unreadable, having been almost entirely worn away.

Oh well......

mary shelley rev.jpg

mary shelley obverse.jpg

On 9/7/2018 at 10:39 PM, Paddy said:

It is always a couple of years behind but the source I use is the Royal Mint:

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/two-pounds-to-20p-issued

This has been showing a 404 (Not Found) error for some time now 😞

I emailed their customer support and they replied they are working on an update and have taken the page down in the meantime?

Which was a month ago. Still waiting for it to re-appear...

Yes - I have mentioned this in another thread. Been down for a couple of months at least now. Keep badgering them!

Edited by Paddy
Typo