British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

was wondering  if they will stick to the way of putting a monarchs name on a coin when Charles comes to the throne,  will they use CAROLVS III of just CHARLES III, that all depends if he keeps his  name anyway 

Presumably keep the latin form given they are unlikely to drop the D G etc bit.

Am I right in thinking he doesn't have to be Charles once king? I'm thinking of his grandad who was Albert ("Bertie") and only became George on accession. Shame really - King Albert would have been a fabulous name. One of Charles' names is Arthur, and wouldn't it be great if we had a King Arthur, albeit one who talks TO plants and OF monstrous carbuncles.

8 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Am I right in thinking he doesn't have to be Charles once king? I'm thinking of his grandad who was Albert ("Bertie") and only became George on accession. Shame really - King Albert would have been a fabulous name. One of Charles' names is Arthur, and wouldn't it be great if we had a King Arthur, albeit one who talks TO plants and OF monstrous carbuncles.

As long as they don't let the public decide, or he'll be Kingy McKingface. :D

• Haha 3

Chuck I Rex D:G  .... after taking advice from Meghan .....    

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

yes you are right, George VI was called Albert, changed his name because it sounded too Germanic, 

Nothing like a kraut trying to keep his job and pension by changing his name .

Victoria did the same didn't she , probably to upset her mother , they had a strange relationship those two

The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if Betty outlives Chuck and we will have a Bill or perhaps Guillaume V. 

6 hours ago, ozjohn said:

The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if Betty outlives Chuck and we will have a Bill or perhaps Guillaume V. 

Considering the first William was a Bastard (in all senses of the word), I wouldn't be too surprised if Will decided to adopt a different regnal name.

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Considering the first William was a Bastard (in all senses of the word), I wouldn't be too surprised if Will decided to adopt a different regnal name.

Yes, and the second was so unpopular that he was probably murdered. The third was an imported Dutchman and the fourth was "Silly Billy".

Anyway, at the present rate our next king will probably be "Vladimir I".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

En francais il  applait Guillaume le batard. 

• Like 1

Seems to be the norm that monarchs and popes choose a name on their accession. I think I read somewhere that Charles would go for George VII.

3 hours ago, davidrj said:

Seems to be the norm that monarchs and popes choose a name on their accession. I think I read somewhere that Charles would go for George VII.

Or "Monstrous Carbuncle I" 

8 hours ago, ozjohn said:

En francais il  applait Guillaume le batard. 

il s'appellait

Yes you are right, it's a reflexive verb.  s'appeller.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, Mr T said:

il s'appellait

I think this may be a hard one as it is not the name he would have used for him self but a name used by others and the non reflexive form may be correct in this case. I tried it in an English to French translator they gave it as  On l' a appele Guilaume the batard. ie they called him William the Bastard using the perfect past rather than the imperfect tense. If the reflexive form of the verb appeller had been used the verb would have used etre as the auxiliary verb rather than avoir. Perhaps if we have a French speaker on the forum they may be able to correct us.

Yes I thought that he probably didn't himself that - "On l'appellait Guillame le bâtard" is more correct I think. French isn't my first language but I think that's right.