British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Contacting Paypal - a frustrating experience

Don't know if anyone else here has had cause to contact them by phone, but I just have in order to ascertain whether a foreign seller had yet been paid (bought a really spectacular 1891 BU penny from a guy in Norway) 

Unreal, just literally unreal. I know some of our automated phone systems are irritatingly crap, but paypal is in a league of its own. Took me half an hour and putting down the phone to repeat the entire process just to eventually get through to an operative. There were long call waiting times, and I was offered a callback on the number I was calling from, but despite the auto voice reading out my phone Number back to me early on, I was expected to type in my number again, including the international code (which I didn't know). Also had to go into the site and insert my new mobile number in, as it didn't recognise it as my number. 

Also, the software couldn't get its head round the last 4 digits of my debit card 4710 - only when I said "zero" rather than O, did it accept it. Then when I finally got through to someone, she couldn't hear me and kept repeating her introduction and asking me again and again for my first and last name. Sounded like robotic equipment - not sure whether it was. So shut down that one and tried the landline. Eventually did get through to a normal person who confirmed that payment was going through and should be with the seller this coming Friday or Monday. Notwithstanding that the purchase was made on 31.8.18.

Was initially alerted to the fact there might be a problem, as I have made this and another purchase recently using their "pay later" scheme. The one seller was noted as having already been paid, but the other not. 

I didn't know whether to swear or chuck my phone against a hard surface - and I'm normally a very calm and placid guy. 

Advice gents - if you need to contact paypal take any blood pressure medication first. 

• Sad 1

Welcome to the 21st century. I worked in I.T. all my life but now it's making life unbearable. It must be time an A.I. robot joined the forum ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Welcome to the 21st century. I worked in I.T. all my life but now it's making life unbearable. It must be time an A.I. robot joined the forum ?

It's like dealing with morons (literally, in the medical sense of the term). 

Every organisational query you make results in annoyance and delay, and equipment or staff who seem completely unable to grasp what you are saying to them, and replying with meaningless rubbish.

29 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It's like dealing with morons (literally, in the medical sense of the term). 

Every organisational query you make results in annoyance and delay, and equipment or staff who seem completely unable to grasp what you are saying to them, and replying with meaningless rubbish.

Mike,

It is probably informational replies taken from a learning tree of other like questions. Certain key words in your dialogue will trigger "learned" responses from other similar questions.

9 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Mike,

It is probably informational replies taken from a learning tree of other like questions. Certain key words in your dialogue will trigger "learned" responses from other similar questions.

I think that's probably correct, Bob. However, having to negotiate through extensive and to a large extent, needless array of automated responses, doesn't improve the user experience. 

Its like when I get put through to a call centre in India....and they say "Hello my name is John" ....er, no it isnt , so you're lying to me from the off ...!   

• Like 2

On 9/5/2018 at 1:09 PM, Colin88 said:

Its like when I get put through to a call centre in India....and they say "Hello my name is John" ....er, no it isnt , so you're lying to me from the off ...!   

Often they have unusual names that are said very quickly, and you can't make them out. Like "Good Morning, my name is  wrryyxxxdaa$$$!!!&***%%. How may I help you today?"  

21 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Often they have unusual names that are said very quickly, and you can't make them out. Like "Good Morning, my name is  wrryyxxxdaa$$$!!!&***%%. How may I help you today?"  

Precisely. That's why they say hello, my name's David, or whatever. If they all used wrryyxxxdaa$$$!!!&***%%, I suspect it would default to what (Watt)? With apologies to BF.

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Precisely. That's why they say hello, my name's David, or whatever. If they all used wrryyxxxdaa$$$!!!&***%%, I suspect it would default to what (Watt)? With apologies to BF.

K ?

5 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

K ?

C ?

After all that palaver, found out that the money was with the seller on 1st September, the day after purchase.