British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Lotad

Keeping coins long term in Royal Mint sealed bags

I've put aside a few sealed bags and was wondering how the coins might fair in the long term. Do we know if the bags are inert?

Obviously, it's not ideal. But in a sealed bag they should at least be free from harmful outside agents. But they are all packed together, which might lead to friction problems. 

Has anyone ever opened a sealed bag from decades ago, and noted the condition of the coins inside?

I'd be inclined not to trust them - probably the mint uses the cheapest plastic available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

I'd be inclined not to trust them - probably the mint uses the cheapest plastic available.

You're absolutely right, but did they always use plastic bags? There must have been a time when they used paper or some form of sacking, perhaps? 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

You're absolutely right, but did they always use plastic bags? There must have been a time when they used paper or some form of sacking, perhaps? 

IIRC in the 60s the RM mint bags were some kind of cloth or sacking (I only know that from pictures, I never had one!)

9 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

I thought coins used to be issued in paper mint rolls, or is that what the banks subsequently put them in?

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352339297334

Yes, that's a roll issued by banks for use by shops etc. RM 'mint bags' were for much larger sums, for example a £5 bag of pennies or halfpennies. The banks would split the mint bags into smaller quantities and roll them up or put into cash tills. 

In the late 60s mint bags of common coins were issued 'for investment purposes' ... which failed dismally of course!

(That eBay seller is incredibly optimistic if they think they'll get £8 apiece for 1983 £1 coins x 20.)

Edited by Peckris 2

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, that's a roll issued by banks for use by shops etc. RM 'mint bags' were for much larger sums, for example a £5 bag of pennies or halfpennies. The banks would split the mint bags into smaller quantities and roll them up or put into cash tills. 

In the late 60s mint bags of common coins were issued 'for investment purposes' ... which failed dismally of course!

(That eBay seller is incredibly optimistic if they think they'll get £8 apiece for 1983 £1 coins x 20.)

If they were 1986 or 1988 he might. 

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

If they were 1986 or 1988 he might. 

I've never quite understood this. Yes, they are COMPARATIVELY scarce, but with mintages of 10m+ and 7m+ they're hardly rare. 

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I've never quite understood this. Yes, they are COMPARATIVELY scarce, but with mintages of 10m+ and 7m+ they're hardly rare. 

They're quite scarce in BU. I don't think many people thought to preserve them at the time.