British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Madness

Help with Photo Editing Software for Die Identification

I'd like to identifying as many dies as I can for 1787 shillings and sixpences.  Re the shilling, 122 obverse and 125 reverse dies were prepared (Manville & Gaspar).  

It should be possible to distinguish a large number of obverse dies using images found online.  The legend positions of all are slightly different given that these were punched by hand.  My proposed method would involve the following:

• Identify and download many good quality images of obverses as possible
  • Resize the images so all examples share a common diameter
  • Rotate the images as necessary so that George III's bust is in exactly the same position in all examples
  • Superimpose a circluar grid which would allow me to determine at which point on the circle (measured in degrees) each letter falls
  • Organise the coins by groups according to the position of the letters, each group the product of a different die

It would also be theoretically possible to distinguish the fruit of different reverse dies.  According to Manivlle and Gaspar, the position of reverse legend is consistent across all examples.  Fine features such as the strings in the Hibernian harp and the hearts in the Hanoverian shield were added by hand.  I've also noticed that there are slight variants in the rotated position of the circle in the centre of the garter star.  Using these unique details die identification should be a possibility, but it certainly wouldn't be a walk in the park.  

My reason for this post is to ask for help with the photo editing.  I've found a free alternative to Photoshop called "GIMP".  Is anyone familiar enough with this to help me work out how to use it?  Additionally, can anyone see any problems with the method I've proposed?

"Why bother going to all this trouble?", I hear you ask.  Well, frankly, it will provide a way to help me fill in some time in an enjoyable manner.  Additionally, it would be nice to have a collection of 1787 shilling and sixpences that includes every extant die variety.  I don't call myself "Madness" for nothing!  King George III's mental malady was nothing compared to mine!

Edited by Madness
  • Like 1

The Ultimate in specialization...

Seriously though, there is nothing mad about a project like this. Early American coinage from half cents to gold has been broken down to various dies and combinations thereof. Books have been published on the various denominations that have become the definitive works on the subject.

I, for one,  wish you the best on this project and can only hope it can be completed and possibly published.....

Much as I would hope that Richard would consider publishing his website as an invaluable  reference book. The next incarnation of a long line of respected references....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Madness said:

My reason for this post is to ask for help with the photo editing.  I've found a free alternative to Photoshop called "GIMP".  Is anyone familiar enough with this to help me work out how to use it?  Additionally, can anyone see any problems with the method I've proposed?

The good news:

The GIMP is a powerful open-source photo editor - not as powerful as Photoshop but it has a lot to offer.

The bad news:

It doesn't follow the more or less common standards that photo editors employ. It's a steep learning curve, though if you haven't done much or any graphics editing, you won't need to 'unlearn' existing standards first.

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

• Like 1