British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Madness

Coins and Music from The Year They Were Minted

Post a picture of a coin and a link to one or more musical pieces that were written in the same year.  

I'll go first:

Shilling - Made to order at the Tower Mint for the Bank of England.  This is the "no dots on obverse" variation:

YZfkrvg.jpg

Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusic

Mozart - Don Giovanni - Overture

As an aside, my nickname at high school was "Mozart" because of my love of classical music and a desire to become a composer.  One of these things has remained, although I did enter uni with this goal still in mind.

Edited by Madness

I think you will struggle to get this one going. Most of us will be able to put a piece of music to a composer, but there's not a hope in hell that we will be able to guess the year it was written. Even with modern music, the release date for a single or album isn't necessarily the year in which it was written.

Yes @Rob.  I think I'll be talking to myself on this thread.  I'll keep it going, though, as I find it fascinating to associate coins with other aspects of culture going on around it at the same time. 

Edit: If anyone's interested, feel free to post a coin and I'll find some music to go with it.   

Edited by Madness

crown-1972.jpg.f1b9962c8f4c13a3a6bc58a99991cff4.jpg

Sorry, I'm afraid the coin is very very boring!

• Like 1

halfcrown 1905.jpg

halfcrown 1905 obv.jpg

• Like 1

image.png.0e80f8ed480d40ac63c4807389d58171.png

Something to keep Madness amused for a while - 1513. Tournai groat struck in the name of Henry VIII.

5 hours ago, Rob said:

image.png.0e80f8ed480d40ac63c4807389d58171.png

Something to keep Madness amused for a while - 1513. Tournai groat struck in the name of Henry VIII.

Here's a piece written by Robert Fayrfax (1464-1521).  King Henry VIII's grandmother, Lady Margaret Beaufort, was his patroness for a while.  Although I don't have a chronology of his works, the embedded Gloria from his Missa Albanus would almost certainly have still been in circulation as the style was still popular in England in 1513.  His work is represented in the Eton choir book of 1510, which miraculously escaped the destructive zeal of the reformation.  Not only are we musically richer for its survival, but the manuscript itself is a thing of beauty, magnificently and elaborately decorated, much like the music it surrounded.  

UdcDYzv.jpg

Edited by Madness