British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

latest acquisition ;0)

wish it was,   the penny guys will spot it 

40332098_1673076846152469_3371984012410093568_n.jpg

40357220_1673076799485807_8270438219733008384_o.jpg

• Like 4

Ah yes, the unadopted bronze pattern - where did you see this picture?

24 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Ah yes, the unadopted bronze pattern - where did you see this picture?

on the The Royal Mint Museums Faceache page,  here is the text to go with it 

The Jubilee coinage was introduced in the summer of 1887 but the change in designs extended only to gold and silver coins, the bronze coinage continuing to bear the same fondly regarded Bun Head effigy of Victoria. That there should be a Jubilee Head pattern penny of 1887 in the Mint collection is therefore of some interest.

One explanation is that the Mint simply ran out of time. A firm deadline had been set for the issue of the new coins, in June 1887 and, given the enormous amount of work that attended the preparation of tools for all the gold and silver denominations, it is not surprising that the Mint had to abandon any thought of also including bronze

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, craigy said:

One explanation is that the Mint simply ran out of time. A firm deadline had been set for the issue of the new coins, in June 1887 and, given the enormous amount of work that attended the preparation of tools for all the gold and silver denominations, it is not surprising that the Mint had to abandon any thought of also including bronze

They could have done as with the Old Head, and introduced the bronze 2 years after gold and silver i.e. in 1889. I suspect that the JH was already deeply unpopular by then so they abandoned the idea? Also, I suppose, the last iteration of the bun head was already 'aged' compared to the YH silver so there was less urgency.

2 hours ago, pies said:

thought i was going mad

pies! Long time since you were last here!

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

They could have done as with the Old Head, and introduced the bronze 2 years after gold and silver i.e. in 1889. I suspect that the JH was already deeply unpopular by then so they abandoned the idea? Also, I suppose, the last iteration of the bun head was already 'aged' compared to the YH silver so there was less urgency.

I am fine with the JH portrait and sometimes wonder why it was so unpopular compared to the OH. If it was about the crown being so small, then Victoria did wear a small crown. The YH is a really nice portrait and a hard act to follow. Do you think the OH would also have been unpopular if it immediately followed the YH?

7 minutes ago, Sword said:

pies! Long time since you were last here!

Yeah, i have been watching from time to time, decided to get shot of the mortgage, thats paid of now, so i can concentrate on better coins now,. They are proving difficult to find though.

35 minutes ago, Sword said:

I am fine with the JH portrait and sometimes wonder why it was so unpopular compared to the OH. If it was about the crown being so small, then Victoria did wear a small crown. The YH is a really nice portrait and a hard act to follow. Do you think the OH would also have been unpopular if it immediately followed the YH?

Yes it was the crown apparently. There is an early bronze pattern for the JH (in Peck) where she is wearing a heavy tiara, but she favoured the small crown which was lighter for a long sitting.

I once did a Photoshop mock up to show how Boehme's portrait would have looked without a crown:

446592165_JH22artistsimpression22(forpredecimal).jpg.efbb984ec99850b13d0781149cdef2ca.jpg

44 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes it was the crown apparently. There is an early bronze pattern for the JH (in Peck) where she is wearing a heavy tiara, but she favoured the small crown which was lighter for a long sitting.

I once did a Photoshop mock up to show how Boehme's portrait would have looked without a crown:

446592165_JH22artistsimpression22(forpredecimal).jpg.efbb984ec99850b13d0781149cdef2ca.jpg

this mock up, what denomination is it and the peck number ??? i'll drop the museum a message, they might have one in the collection, they seem pretty happy to reply to me 

I can't see anything in the illustrations to resemble a JH that is dated correctly. Plenty of veiled head things dated 1894 though. The diademed bust by Minton is paired with 1862/5/70 reverses, though if my conversation a few months ago with Graham Dyer applies, then they could have been made at any time, and in any case appear not to have been made before 1870. 

There is a pattern sovereign dated 1883 in the Royal Mint Collection  (Hocking 2198) which has a diadem and veil, illustrated in W&R, no. 327. The dozen known 1884 pattern halfcrowns by Boehm all had a JH style crown, so the closest datewise to the JH issue we have without crown is the 1888 pattern (5/-)crown with the bust shown here, which was paired with a regular 1888 G&D reverse. c2055 - 1888 pattern crown obverse cf. ESC2670.jpg

Edited by Rob

I once did a Photoshop mock up to show how Boehme's portrait would have looked without a crown:Boehmes portrait was one of her daughters  ideas Victoria was badly advised to use it by the said daughters , but when Victoria makes up her mind there is little in this world that will make here change it.

Must admit it looks better without the crown

• Like 1

19 hours ago, craigy said:

this mock up, what denomination is it and the peck number ??? i'll drop the museum a message, they might have one in the collection, they seem pretty happy to reply to me 

:lol:

Good luck with that - I have the only known example...

43 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

:lol:

Good luck with that - I have the only known example...

lets see some pics ;0) 

18 minutes ago, craigy said:

lets see some pics ;0) 

There it is, above :lol:

2 hours ago, craigy said:

i'm confused 

Its not a real coin just a photoshop Peck knocked up :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pies said:

Its not a real coin just a photoshop Peck knocked up :)

The clue was in the words "mock" "up" and "Photoshop" :D

• Like 2

a non existant pattern