British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Madness

An Interesting (to Me) 1787 Sixpence

54 minutes ago, Madness said:

I'm contemplating bidding on the DNW I/D and am going to sell some stuff on eBay to fund it.  This will include selling the example I bought from Michael.  I paid 55 GBP for it described as aEF.  Considering it's only VF, how much do you think I should list if for on eBay?  What does Spink say?  Do you think the idiosyncrasies should increase the amount I ask for it?  How much should I bid for the DNW example?  

I guess all this stuff is unknown and unknowable.  

Or you can just return the coin to Michael since you have just brought it. In this case, the grading is off (and that's why I wondered if he actually graded all the coins himself) and the photo looks very much like VF.

I don't think you can get more money for it unless the I/D has actually been established as a variety in a catalogue. 

• Like 1

I've initiated the return process @Sword and explained the reason for this to Michael.  Thanks for the suggestion.  If I'm going to have a coin like this, I don't want it to be just an ugly placeholder.  I want to take pride in my collection.  

Disappointing, as return postage won't be cheap.  Even people who are trustworthy make mistakes.   I need to learn more about grading.  Much more practice needed!

Edited by Madness

23 minutes ago, Madness said:

Even people who are trustworthy make mistakes.   I need to learn more about grading.  Much more practice needed!

Even the TPGs are far from perfect.... And you're PAYING for it....

• Like 1

I hope you are in a position to have a good shot at the DNW coin,  but don’t forget the 25% or so extra costs on top of the bid price, and postage will be a bummer. The coin may well attract a premium because of the variety. The Davissons coin is beautiful, and they are a good family run auction house with minimal cost to the buyer, I always keep an eye on their site (as do others on this forum, sadly for me 😠🤐🙂).

Jerry

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jelida said:

I hope you are in a position to have a good shot at the DNW coin,  but don’t forget the 25% or so extra costs on top of the bid price, and postage will be a bummer. The coin may well attract a premium because of the variety. The Davissons coin is beautiful, and they are a good family run auction house with minimal cost to the buyer, I always keep an eye on their site (as do others on this forum, sadly for me 😠🤐🙂).

Jerry

You put me on to the Davissons coin I think, Jerry.  Really appreciate your help and generosity in sharing information.  Time will tell re the DNW auction, but I'm trying to sell some stuff on eBay to give myself a good shot.  

Edited by Madness

I've changed my mind about Michael.  He said he'd accept the return but was very snarky when I told him the reason for my request.   Not at all friendly.  Can't deal with any more stress from the situation, so I won't go ahead with the return.  I'll either keep the sixpence or sell it.  What's it worth in VF?  25 GBP?

Edited by Madness

I would keep the sixpence until at least after the DNW sale, it does appear to be an overstrike that is now a recognised variety, the DNW coin can always be referenced if you do come to sell and should help you get a premium . I would hope you get your money back more or less. I personally wouldn’t get rid of a scarce variety unless I had a better replacement. And it’s really not that bad a coin.

Jerry