British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Richard II

have been out quite a bit thru the hot times and managed a few hammered, nothing special, this one is rather interesting,  i think it's a Richard II London half penny, looks almost like its plated, or is it seriously debased, doesn't look like a fake or a Johhny foreigner, the legends look correct, any thoughts welcome , its not been cleaned with anything, just distilled water 

40406029_10155465271876020_5612440740157194240_o.jpg

40285193_10155465271816020_903062301853089792_o.jpg

Edited by craigy

I have been in this position many times, thinking that the exposed ‘black’ layer is revealing a different metal to the clearly silvered surface ‘micro-layer!’

my thoughts are...I have seen many similar examples from the ground (namely, looking this way), which leads me to firstly conclude they are not modern copies. Equally, if they were contemporary copies I long since rationalised that the material beneath a ‘silvered’ copy would not remain black after 100’s of years, they would have given up the truth of their base metal materials by now, as all base metal coins have.

So, my unsubstantiated theory is...the process of mixing silver for blank flans in that period was far from perfect, and was fraught with contaminated ‘mixes’ that left layers within the silver that manifested itself eventually as we see your coin here today, and many others too!

100% straight coin for me 👍

you know the more i look at it in the flesh it looks a gold color, to bright for silver  i'm starting to think it was gilt at some point,   i know it looks silver in the picture but having handled 100's of hammered in all states and cleaned and as found i've never seen a silver like that , i could even go as far as saying it looks goldy coloured in the pics above 

Edited by craigy