British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Madness

Giving Away - Grading British Coins

I recently purchased a copy of the Rotographic publication "The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins".  This is obviously a wonderful resource, but I've decided that I'll only be collecting early milled at this stage.  

As the book is no longer going to be useful to me I've decided to give it away, entirely unused except having been flicked through.  You'll need to cover shipping.  I'm in Australia, though, and shipping mightn't be cheap enough to make it worthwhile if you're in the UK.  Good for fellow Aussies, though, if you don't already have a copy.  

Please let me know if you're interested.  

Don't do it. In a week's time you'll be changing direction. ;)

That's what I get for following instructions given by a GPS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although Derek's book covers coins minted from 1797 through to 1970, you should be able to take the broad principles that he has identified and extrapolate them to earlier types. It won't be an exact science, but it should still give you a good feel for grading of earlier coins, especially since there is no definitive agreed guide for determining grades anyway. On this basis I would keep the book.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaveG38 said:

Although Derek's book covers coins minted from 1797 through to 1970, you should be able to take the broad principles that he has identified and extrapolate them to earlier types. It won't be an exact science, but it should still give you a good feel for grading of earlier coins, especially since there is no definitive agreed guide for determining grades anyway. On this basis I would keep the book.   

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

It's a one of a kind reference that should be in your library..

The prevalent advice of buying the book before the coin is most certainly applicable here.... you HAVE the book already, why give it away when you might need to refer to it next week....

No on knows for sure, but I could cite numerous instances when I have disposed of something and needed it shortly after...  I'm not saying to keep everything and throw nothing away.  items that can easily be replaced or accessed can be disposed of, but something as small and as useful as this book should be kept..

Casee in point, although most US collectors use TPG's, the tpg's use as a basis the standards set forth in the guidebook grading US coins. The information contained within that book, as well as your book in question, can be extrapolated to apply to coins not covered in the guide...

I respect my references no matter how rarely I access them, as I know they. are an invaluable source of information......

Although I use Peck I sometimes need to refer to Bramah for further information.. I have Batty, use it rarely, but I like to know it is there if needed....

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments and say it doesn't hurt to keep it - I've got more than a shelf of coin and banknote-related books, most of which I don't touch and some of which I've never read but it's good to have a reference library.

• Like 1

The nays have it.  I'll defer to years of wisdom and keep this. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Madness said:

The nays have it.  I'll defer to years of wisdom and keep this. 

You can still get a very good idea as to comparative overall circulation, eg: hair detail, extent of wear, rubbing of lettering etc, even if the actual coins you are looking to grade, don't appear in Derek's book. The basic principles are the same with all coins.   

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Madness said:

I recently purchased a copy of the Rotographic publication "The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins".  This is obviously a wonderful resource, but I've decided that I'll only be collecting early milled at this stage.  

As the book is no longer going to be useful to me I've decided to give it away, entirely unused except having been flicked through.  You'll need to cover shipping.  I'm in Australia, though, and shipping mightn't be cheap enough to make it worthwhile if you're in the UK.  Good for fellow Aussies, though, if you don't already have a copy.  

Please let me know if you're interested.  

Yes I agree with the others, I started off wanting to grow on 6 coins I had in my collection a beautiful 1746 Crown and silver of George III I was determined to stick to it four years or so back....I then amassed ...well I am not sure over a 1000 coins and tokens, I thought Tokens initially I would never collect then find I have nearly 200 of them ...you will find that book useful for no other reason than aspiration and desire to collect the Uncirculated ...so don't give up on it yet 

You will find that the essential standards as enumerated in the book are applicable to any coin being evaluated.....

What this book (or any specialized grading guide) does, is list specific points to look at when grading a specific coin. The essentials, as I stated earlier, are applicable to any coin....

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this