British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Dachshund

Rare coin question

Hello :) 

Just a couple of days ago Charles Dickens coin with error sold on eBay for 3500 pounds. Is it worth it? Do you know any other rare 2 pounds coin sought after that are worth this amount of money? I have rare 2 pounds coin an I wonder what kind of 2 pounds coins are the most sought after and hunted by collectors. Sorry if this question seems a bit silly, :) .

Kind Regards

NEwbie Daxy 

Edited by Dachshund

If you check ebay today you might not find the coin in the "sold" section.

I imagine that the sale was cancelled, as no-one in their right mind should pay more than about £2 for one of these coins, unless it has some spectacularly unique errors (and the hapless seller probably doesn't want to suck up the vast sellers fee for a sold item that doesn't get paid for).

The "writing around the edge is upside down" is not an error, it can be either way and is a feature or the manufacturing process.

the dots around the queens head - not really an error which would lend itself to making the coin sell for any large premium, as this "error" is so common, it would be rarer to find a coin with a complete ring of dots!

Anything you read about "rare coins" and "selling" and "ebay" in the daily rags is probably about as trustworthy as a gentleman selling snake oil.

With regards to "rare" £2 Pounds coins, none are actually rare with the noted exceptions of the Norther Ireland commonwealth games and the single metal "Claim of rights" coins.

Others will fetch a little/some more than face value depending on their condition, and how many people are looking for that coin at a given time.

The scarcity index at change-checker should assist you in which are currently the most popular coins.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

I checked a few (8) of mine to look for the 'rare' errors: 7 had the incomplete dots on the obverse (1 had almost complete dots), and 3 had the WIIL on the edge.