British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, Martinminerva said:

...and I think this one is an 1874 9+I, but I confess I can't be sure as the colon and leaves are not clear on the picture. On obverse 9, the leaves are even further away from the colon again.  Post a better picture when you have it in hand and I'll let you know!

I'd say an 8 on this one, as I can only see 2 single berries below the 2nd group of leaves whereas on a 9, there is a double and a single. But agreed, a clearer photo would help.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zo Arms said:

I'd say an 8 on this one, as I can only see 2 single berries below the 2nd group of leaves whereas on a 9, there is a double and a single. But agreed, a clearer photo would help.

Good shout - I think you're right. But hopefully Dr Larry can post a better picture in due course. 1874 8+I is much rarer than Freeman lists, I'm convinced!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

Screenshot_20230305-161545~3.png

Screenshot_20230305-161839~3.png

yes of course as soon as it arrives but it may take a few weeks I am afraid .  thanks for pointing that out .  Larry 

Dracott reverse J# or J2 please? 

Britannia's eye does seem to be recessed but I'm unconvinced by the date - width seems right for J2 but the numerals aren't as thin as I would expect. 

DSCF7916a.jpg

6 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Britannia's eye does seem to be recessed but I'm unconvinced by the date - width seems right for J2 but the numerals aren't as thin as I would expect. 

DSCF7916a.jpg

certainly looks as if she has had a few late nights 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Deffo J2.  Thinness or otherwise of date numerals is misleading except on near-unc coins: as the coin wears, the numbers and letters naturally broaden as the high points flatten.

• Like 2

Yes, great example of another J2 with fattening numerals to show mrbadexample...

Thank you. If I'd read the article properly I'd have seen that 1875 obverse 11 is only paired with J2. :rolleyes:

there is a lot of variation in these 1870's half pennies , I have only ever really concentrated on the early 1860's but this thread has opened my eyes ...thanks 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Thank you. If I'd read the article properly I'd have seen that 1875 obverse 11 is only paired with J2. :rolleyes:

.....until someone ignores the book and finds one with a different pairing....

Mal lewendon 13# as an example.

Interestingly, Dracott lists an 1879 with thicker legends. 3 known.

4 hours ago, Zo Arms said:
23 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

.....until someone ignores the book and finds one with a different pairing....

Indeed! Dracott in his November 2021 update now records 11 plus J# (or J1 as he now calls it).

From his research and my own records, I have details of the following die pairs for 1875 (not including 1875H):

11 + J#, 11 + J2, 12 + J#, 12 + J2, 12 + L (rare) and 13 + J2 (very rare). As far as I know these last two are not yet recorded with any other "mule" pairing of 11 or 12, but again one day someone might find one! Plus there is also Mal Lewenden's 13# + L of which two are now known.

4 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

Interestingly, Dracott lists an 1879 with thicker legends. 3 known.

But these have to be pretty much unc. to be sure as shown above...

Edited by Martinminerva
Inclusion of Mal Lewenden's
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

From his research and my own records, I have details of the following die pairs for 1875 (not including 1875H):

Do you have good pictures of obverses 11 and 12 illustrating the differences ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, secret santa said:

No - they are a pig to tell apart. Your website already does by miles the best job I have seen. I wonder if Iain Dracott himself can provide gospel and/or pictures... is he a member of this forum, or is anyone here in touch with him?

5 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

No - they are a pig to tell apart. Your website already does by miles the best job I have seen. I wonder if Iain Dracott himself can provide gospel and/or pictures... is he a member of this forum, or is anyone here in touch with him?

I may be wrong but I think MrT is able to contact him, judging by a response from him on page 8 of this thread.

Edited to add that I've just messaged MrT, so we may know shortly.

Mr Dracott's views would certainly be a great help in identifying the major differences.

Edited by Zo Arms
Additional text.
  • Thanks 1

I last emailed Iain Draycott about 3 years ago when I was putting together my halfpenny site. I have his email address from then if anyone would like it.

28 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I last emailed Iain Draycott about 3 years ago when I was putting together my halfpenny site. I have his email address from then if anyone would like it.

I'm happy to email him on behalf of the collective, should no-one else step forward. Views please.

• Thanks 1

Here is a new variety I'd bet none of us new about 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394561585577

GREAT BRITAIN UK 1862 HALF PENNY VARIETY" 8" in DATE IS TO RIGHT OF LIGHTHOUSE

I find it hard to think the 8 can ever get to the left 

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 4:47 AM, Zo Arms said:

I may be wrong but I think MrT is able to contact him, judging by a response from him on page 8 of this thread.

Edited to add that I've just messaged MrT, so we may know shortly.

Mr Dracott's views would certainly be a great help in identifying the major differences.

Message sent. I don't think I was able to get an answer on obverse 11* though.

On 4/10/2023 at 11:11 PM, secret santa said:

My 2c (or 2p) is it's the same obverse - the descriptions seem to be contradictory at times and manual touch-ups to some working dies seems like a reasonable explanation.

I'm thinking obverse 16 on this one but must admit, I'm struggling. Sellers photo.

A little help please.

Having trouble with photo. 

All done.

Edited by Zo Arms
Additional text.

18 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

Screenshot_20230528-194731~2_copy_403x401.png

Definately not obverse 16

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Definately not obverse 16

Ok. Thanks Bernie. I'll have another go.