British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Could someone confirm or deny reverse K please? Flat rim and no windows to lighthouse. Or maybe reverse J

Screenshot_20230215-225559.png

Edited by Zo Arms
Additional text.

It is 8+J.  Reverse K has Britannia's left leg distinctly descending into her lap and the date digits much lower.  J has the two legs parallel (as above), and digits higher.

Edited by Martinminerva

1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

It is 8+J.  Reverse K has Britannia's left leg distinctly descending into her lap and the date digits much lower.  J has the two legs parallel (as above), and digits higher.

Thanks Martin. It was an impulse buy on Saturday. Probably paid too much for it. £71. Initially thought a K but on posting here, realised that it was maybe a J. Hence the additional text. Thank you for confirmation.

Another one off the list though. To many people, the condition would be a problem, especially the scar across the bust, but for me it shows that the coin was used as intended, with a history and a life. A survivor, if you like,  rather than fresh from the press. Floats my boat.

F314 8+J. R16.

I'm happy.

• Like 2

That's two in a short period of time. I bought the 8+J in the CCA/Nantwich auction at the end of November. It was described as 8+I (also described as such on the accompanying envelope) but obviously wasn't. I paid just under £45 for it. I'm looking for a 8+I, 9+K and 12+L if anyone has anything available, as long as it's not a washer.

c2252-1874 halfpenny F314 8+J.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rob said:

That's two in a short period of time. I bought the 8+J in the CCA/Nantwich auction at the end of November. It was described as 8+I (also described as such on the accompanying envelope) but obviously wasn't. I paid just under £45 for it. I'm looking for a 8+I, 9+K and 12+L if anyone has anything available, as long as it's not a washer.

Well done Rob, i bidded in the same auction, but didn't spot this one.

On 2/17/2023 at 12:17 AM, Rob said:

I'm looking for a 8+I, 9+K and 12+L if anyone has anything available, as long as it's not a washer.

Rob. I've just messaged you.

After my mistaken identification of the 8+J above, I decided to check my other two that I had down as reverse K. Turns out that I have both an 8 and a 9, reverse I. So F313, F314, F315 crossed off in quick succession.

A further search on eBay, turned up this one, which arrived this morning. Reverse K. ?   Paired with 9. F317.

WP_20230223_21_23_11_Pro(2)_092449_copy_1061x1080.jpg

• Like 2

Yep - that's a 9+K.  I was watching this too, but the seller kept "ending" then re-listing it! Good show too on the 8+I - that's a very rare die pairing in  my experience, rarer I feel than Freeman states.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Yep - that's a 9+K.  I was watching this too, but the seller kept "ending" then re-listing it! Good show too on the 8+I - that's a very rare die pairing in  my experience, rarer I feel than Freeman states.

Likely nothing suspicious. When you have a reduced listing fee weekend, you take down the most expensive items, or those with only a day or two to go, and then relist to keep the fees down. Can save a fortune.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Thanks Martin.

His re-listing was partly my fault. He first started at £20. I bid. He then cancelled auction and re-listed at £40. I bid. Asked him if he had a price in mind and  offered £70 and we settled on £80 but as my bid had cancelled the best offer, he had to relist to bring the best offer option back into play. A bit long winded but another number in hand.

14 minutes ago, Rob said:

Likely nothing suspicious. When you have a reduced listing fee weekend, you take down the most expensive items, or those with only a day or two to go, and then relist to keep the fees down. Can save a fortune.

Must admit, I was relieved to see that the envelope contained the coin that I purchased.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 10:00 PM, Martinminerva said:

Good show too on the 8+I - that's a very rare die pairing in  my experience, rarer I feel than Freeman states.

Talking of 8+I, keep looking out for the very rare 1873 (sic) 8+I too. Unrecorded originally in Freeman, it is now mentioned in Appendix 4 of the reprinted version. Dracott records 3 specimens seen, and here's a fourth: (obverse to follow)

1873 8+I rev.jpg

• Like 4

Found this one recently 

s-l1600 (2) 1873 I (340x337).jpgs-l1600 (2) 1873 8 (340x338).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

s-l1600 (5) (340x333).jpgs-l1600 (4) (332x340).jpg

and the 74 sorry the image is not good it is still in transit 

Edited by DrLarry

1 hour ago, DrLarry said:

Found this one recently 

s-l1600 (2) 1873 I (340x337).jpgs-l1600 (2) 1873 8 (340x338).jpg

This one is just a "normal" 7+I.  Notice the position of the top leaves of Victoria's wreath in relation to the colon after G:

30 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

This one is just a "normal" 7+I.  Notice the position of the top leaves of Victoria's wreath in relation to the colon after G:

Oh yes I see now thank you that is a useful tip 

1 hour ago, DrLarry said:

s-l1600 (5) (340x333).jpgs-l1600 (4) (332x340).jpg

and the 74 sorry the image is not good it is still in transit 

...and I think this one is an 1874 9+I, but I confess I can't be sure as the colon and leaves are not clear on the picture. On obverse 9, the leaves are even further away from the colon again.  Post a better picture when you have it in hand and I'll let you know!

• Like 1

OK so this one the 74 as it has the leaveve spread and has HONI SO must be a OBV 9 I Rev 

CM230228-162017001 (340x331).jpgCM230228-162029002 (340x337).jpg

CM230228-162056003 (169x340).jpgCM230228-162106004 (169x340).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

1 minute ago, DrLarry said:

OK so this one the 74 as it has the leaveve spread and has HONI SO must be a OBV 9 I Rev 

CM230228-162017001 (340x331).jpgCM230228-162029002 (340x337).jpg

CM230228-162056003 (169x340).jpgCM230228-162106004 (169x340).jpg

Yes, this one is definitely 9+I

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

...and I think this one is an 1874 9+I, but I confess I can't be sure as the colon and leaves are not clear on the picture. On obverse 9, the leaves are even further away from the colon again.  Post a better picture when you have it in hand and I'll let you know!

yes I will but I have another below  but yes you are right thanks again 

36 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

I have to admit I have missed looking for these later years but shall watch out now I know what I am looking for ....I am just very partial to that particular lighthouse LOL

3 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Richard, if you want to use these for your rare halfpennies website, be my guest!

Thank you, I've uploaded them.

• Thanks 1