British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:55 PM, Zo Arms said:

Thinking reverse D on this one please

Screenshot_20221206-193157~2.png

Definitely an E. So the consensus was correct.

WP_20221224_13_08_30_Pro_025057.jpg

26 minutes ago, Zo Arms said:

Definitely an E. So the consensus was correct.

WP_20221224_13_08_30_Pro_025057.jpg

Do I detect signs of a possible 6 over a higher 6?

Or is it just a trick of the enlargement??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

I see what you mean, but just a trick of the light I think. Another photo.

WP_20221224_16_00_32_Pro (2)_040500.jpg

Interesting..

If it were an overdate, it should be visible under direct visual examination.

As I assume from your reply that it is not, then it probably is just a trick of the lighting.

Pity.....

On 1/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Much scarcer than the 6 & g HALP penny.

Would anyone know the scarcity of the 5 + E  1861 HALP please?

18 minutes ago, Zo Arms said:

Would anyone know the scarcity of the 5 + E  1861 HALP please?

Was this the coin? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165910473932  
I did bid, but felt I  couldn’t be sure. Nor with the ‘mule’ ….  mixed up obverses in the pics I suspect.

It would be good to see a photo if it is one.

Jerry

8 minutes ago, jelida said:

I did bid, but felt I  couldn’t be sure. Nor with the ‘mule’ ….  mixed up obverses in the pics I suspect.

Jerry

Yes, that's it. The coins are well mixed up. Heart leapt when I spotted the ' mule '.

I think it's a HALP. It is a known pairing for this variety. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

Yes, that's it. The coins are well mixed up. Heart leapt when I spotted the ' mule '.

I think it's a HALP. It is a known pairing for this variety. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

I presume that the coin in question is the 1861, which, although admittedly it does look like a P/F, I would tend to doubt that it is a HALP penny.  Although it is known with both obverses 6 and 7; to the best of my knowledge it is only known on reverse G. The coin in question is a reverse E (note the LCW).

I would suspect that it is some sort of gunk at the tip of the crossbars of the F in HALF.

For what it is worth, I hope that I am proven incorrect, or that I have been looking at wrong coin. The best scenario would be that it is a new discovery (those are always nice).

Best of Luck

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Like 1

Do you think that looks deliberately iffy? :blink:

• Like 1

Is it even the same coin? There's crud around the L which isn't in Zo Arms' image and a dig in the upright, not in the seller's picture which also has a small protrusion at the top of the F upright . I would say someone is being less than honest. 

• Like 2

The same coin, as the scar by her arm proves. I did check when it arrived. My photo shows the coin in the condition that I received it, so it has had a good wipe before it was sent.

Thank you for your concerns though.

Screenshot_20230207-202923~2.png

I concur, it looks like the same coin. He could have used a few more pixels though - they don't cost that much.

2 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

The same coin, as the scar by her arm proves. I did check when it arrived. My photo shows the coin in the condition that I received it, so it has had a good wipe before it was sent.

Sorry to hear about that.  Wonder if the seller deliberately blur the picture or how to amend it to look like HALP, as no where like a P in the coin you received.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:50 PM, jelida said:

Jerry

yes I bid on it originally thinking it to be a mule then realised it was likely a mix up it was a bit confusing though as the coins looked "burnt" I did ask the seller they said not. I asked for a better image and they sent one I think   

Edited by DrLarry

On 10/17/2022 at 8:22 PM, Zo Arms said:

Whilst we're here, does anyone have an F289,  62 over 26. Mentioned in the 2016 Freeman and recognised by Dracott in his 2021 update.

I think I've found an example and a little piccy to show what I think I see.

IMG_20221017_200718.jpg

did this ever arrive and was it? 

On 2/7/2023 at 11:29 AM, mrbadexample said:

Do you think that looks deliberately iffy? :blink:

I purchased a 1862  A  mintmark recently and rather than bothering to get it be disappointed I thought it easier to just ask the seller....it was a very well sculpted bit of FLUFF  in just the right place. 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

I think the problem might be IPHONE or IPAD they seem to take terrible images 

And all the while everyone was missing the fact this was a unique IENNY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coinery said:

And all the while everyone was missing the fact this was a unique IENNY

I think I have one of those 

On 2/8/2023 at 1:30 PM, DrLarry said:

did this ever arrive and was it? 

Yes, it did arrive eventually, after a great deal of pleading and a phone call to Canada.

Unfortunately, I don't have the means to take, up close, detailed photos of  both numbers and it would be unfair to ask Ian again.

Wish I knew someone else, who could undertake such a task? Maybe similar to others that have appeared on this thread. Perchance. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zo Arms said:

Yes, it did arrive eventually, after a great deal of pleading and a phone call to Canada.

Unfortunately, I don't have the means to take, up close, detailed photos of  both numbers and it would be unfair to ask Ian again.

Wish I knew someone else, who could undertake such a task? Maybe similar to others that have appeared on this thread. Perchance. 😁

I am always happy to help I just use a binocular microscope and the phone.  I often use an APP which I have found incredibly useful call "Cozy Magnifier +   It allows upward from x1 to times 10 and is pretty good if the phone rests above the coin.  It does have a light feature and a higher magnification but my hands shake too much .  it is only a couple of pounds and I tried many and this one is the best as it allows images in reverse light and black and white ....But if you need help please just ask I have time ...  Larry