British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On both of the previous overstrikes the underlying P is clear, albeit on the F-282, being more worn, it is less obvious.

I did have one or two dubious F/P's which were clearly flattened serifs upon closer examination. If I find them again or images, I'll post them for comparison.

A lot of the over strikes on the wrong letter or number on the date seem to be were the wrong punch was used , as the person striking them forgot the die was in reverse.

This is exactly the same and the opposite letter is the P in penny ,so intitally struck with a P and then again with an F.This could cause a flaw or uneven letter as never going to be struck exactly the same as the first letter and can also look slightly different due to one letter / number being struck through the other.

Very similar to the 1858 F/B Copper penny ( B in Britanniar ) that is recorded.

Maybe 😀

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

I'd like a little help with this one please. I think I'm correct with reverse F but can't make my mind up on the obverse.

Not much to go on I'm afraid. 4 or 6 ?

WP_20220201_11_03_15_Pro (2).jpg

Edited by Zo Arms
Additional text

Beyond my abilities I'm afraid. :unsure:

Thanks Bernie.

Could I ask why you say 4?

Using London coins photos for Ob 4 / 6 and comparing with the legend on the RHS, I can make it either, depending on which photo I use.

I trust your judgement implicitly. Just curious.

I've changed my mind Bob, I now believe that it's Obv 6 with rev F. The "O" of HONI SO does appear to show more of the "O" than obverse 4

These varieties are very difficult to identify in lower grades.

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

I've changed my mind Bob, I now believe that it's Obv 6 with rev F. The "O" of HONI SO does appear to show more of the "O" than obverse 4

Must admit that I was more swung towards a 6 but I haven't the experienced eyes to be certain on a worn coin such as this.

Any idea on the current population estimates? I'm sure it must have increased since Dracott's figure.

6 hours ago, Bernie said:

Hi Bernie,

I tend to concur with you, both for the reason you stated and the fact that I think I can see double incuse lines on one of the leaves, which would indicate obverse 6 as oppose to obverse 4.

Of course, as you state it is very difficult to determine from worn specimens, if at all especially from an image.

I'll upload images of my 6 & F for comparison.

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

15 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Hi Bernie,

I tend to concur with you, both for the reason you stated and the fact that I think I can see double incuse lines on one of the leaves, which would indicate obverse 6 as oppose to obverse 4.

Of course, as you state it is very difficult to determine from worn specimens, if at all especially from an image.

I'll upload images of my 6 & F for comparison.

Hello Gary & Bob,  Here is even more evidence that this is a 6+F !!!!!

Take a look at the die crack above R in REG.

Well done Bob, this will sit nicely with your 14+N !

1861.1 6+F.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your time on this Bernie. Conclusive proof. Is that your coin may I ask?

So, at least 3 known. Anyone else have one to add?

Is the die crack through the R on the one in the slab? I can't quite make it out.

I'd like a second opinion on what I believe to be another 1861 6 & b half penny. Although low grade, I think it can be identified. It is NOT an obverse 7.

It appears to have the die break above the R in REG as well as a bit more of the O in HONI SO. Additionally, although difficult to capture in an image, I think there is evidence of a double incuse line. All indicative of an obverse 6.

All comments appreciated.

Thank you

20220224_211143.jpg

7 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I'd like a second opinion on what I believe to be another 1861 6 & b half penny. Although low grade, I think it can be identified. It is NOT an obverse 7.

It appears to have the die break above the R in REG as well as a bit more of the O in HONI SO. Additionally, although difficult to capture in an image, I think there is evidence of a double incuse line. All indicative of an obverse 6.

All comments appreciated.

Thank you

I can't see any reason to disagree with your ID Gary. :)

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

I can't see any reason to disagree with your ID Gary. :)

Thank you, I did mean 6 and F though...

Obviously a reverse F, was looking for confirmation on Obverse. Thank you for that.