British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

That looks like an F-322a.

Uneven berries...

See attached image

20211209_094540.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation. I would like to say that I spotted it myself but I was pointed in the right direction by a forum member, to whom I owe many thanks.

I was going to suggest that it may be greedy for you to have 2 examples, when this one popped it's head up.

Neither as good looking as yours but another to the known list?

Screenshot_2021-12-13-21-24-41-821.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-13-21-25-08-075.jpg

• Like 1

Evening All.

I'm having trouble with this one. Can't make up my mind whether G or I. Dracott's  N pointings aren't helping. Neither are London coins photos of 310, 311.

If I had to commit, I'd say G.

Screenshot_2022-01-10-18-49-16-314.jpg

Edited by Zo Arms
Additional text

Definitely reverse G.

Easiest way to spot is the sea meeting rock level at the extreme left of the exergue. On Rev. G it rises up slightly and does not cross the linear circle. On Rev. I it is pretty much level and does cross the linear circle. See enlargements below...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Martinminerva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Definitely reverse G.

Easiest way to spot is the sea meeting rock level at the extreme left of the exergue. On Rev. G it rises up slightly and does not cross the linear circle. On Rev. I it is pretty much level and does cross the linear circle. See enlargements below...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Martin.

Very helpful photo of the sea crossing the circle. And an F style lighthouse too. Is the hair to shoulder detail the same as an F?

I've just rechecked the London coins photos and all bar 1 appear to have a G style sea detail. To my eyes anyway.

I cannot easily make any judgements or spot any distinctive differences about the hair to shoulder for the two reverses - I'll leave that to you with two more photos, reverse G first, then I. The sea/rock line is the diagnostic for me. But you're right that reverse I is considerably rarer and quite an underestimated scarcity in my opinion.

Happy to help!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

PS another diagnostic is that both arms of the H of Half point to spaces on Rev G and beads on Rev I...

Edited by Martinminerva
  • Like 2

I'd class that as F style hair. It's thicker and extends down slightly further, to cover more of her bra strap.😀

And I do appreciate a legend pointing. On most of my coins there seems to be very little Britannia left.

Edited by Zo Arms
Spelling

Trident shaft is noticeably thicker on G too.

• Like 1

Really useful identifiers. Thank you all.

Here's a couple of maybe wishful thinking. 

1862. B over R.  And an 1860 HAIF.   Rev B, but paired with a 4, not a 2.

WP_20220110_23_37_03_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

From the photo, I would be happy with the B/R, the leg of the R shows both within and outside the lower loop of the B. I have the 1861 version (F282 variety). Well done!

Jerry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

From the photo, I would be happy with the B/R, the leg of the R shows both within and outside the lower loop of the B. I have the 1861 version (F282 variety).

Could you post the pic or refer me to a link so that I can add it to my varieties site please Jerry.

1 hour ago, jelida said:

From the photo, I would be happy with the B/R, the leg of the R shows both within and outside the lower loop of the B. I have the 1861 version (F282 variety). Well done!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Appreciate the confirmation. 

How's your halfpenny collection coming along?

12 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

1862. B over R. 

I like it! :)

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

Could you post the pic or refer me to a link so that I can add it to my varieties site please Jerry.

Oops, silly me, it’s the R over B in BRITT halfpenny that I have, which you have pics of. It’s my three 1862 B/R pennies that look identical to this B/R halfpenny overstrike. The abnormal shape of the inner loop of the B is a clear giveaway, even on worn coins.

The halfpenny collection is coming along nicely, thanks to LCA and EBay. My best so far is the (pricey) 1862 die letter C with good lustre, from a continental auction a few months ago. I must take pics.

Jerry

For comparison 2 different obverse 2 HAIF pennies.

First specimen is an earlier die state with the end of the leg of the L showing (ie:  HAI.F)

Picture_20224611044622.jpg

Picture_20224511044520.jpg

Picture_20224511044550.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

2nd specimen, not as good, but is a HAIF penny without the end of the leg of the L showing.

Picture_20224811044800.jpg

Picture_20224711044703.jpg

Picture_20224711044727.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

3 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I'll add images when forum software allow me to do so.

I think the software will let you load more images immediately if you do a refresh of the screen - using the F5 key or the refresh button at the top. Or else come out of the thread and back in should do it. (The software is not clearing the fact that you have already loaded an image and thinks you are trying to load another image alongside your first.)

This has worked for me in the past.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:43 AM, Martinminerva said:

Definitely reverse G.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In the notes I've left myself I have reverse G has lighthouse with two windows and one rock between lighthouse and shield, reverse I has lighthouse with no windows and two rocks between lighthouse and shield.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 2:18 PM, jelida said:

Oops, silly me, it’s the R over B in BRITT halfpenny that I have, which you have pics of. It’s my three 1862 B/R pennies that look identical to this B/R halfpenny overstrike. The abnormal shape of the inner loop of the B is a clear giveaway, even on worn coins.

The halfpenny collection is coming along nicely, thanks to LCA and EBay. My best so far is the (pricey) 1862 die letter C with good lustre, from a continental auction a few months ago. I must take pics.

Jerry

1862 die letter C with good lustre, nice! Please show us Jerry.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

1862 die letter C with good lustre, nice! Please show us Jerry.

This! ☝️ 

Die letter C much rarer than the A

54 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Die letter C much rarer than the A

I've found the A to the RIGHT of the lighthouse to be the scarcest followed by the B. 

Die letter A appears to me  to the most common in either of the letter positions to the LEFT of the lighthouse.

Die letter C follows with same observation regarding either of its two letter positions.

Die letter B is next scarcest followed the die letter A to right of the lighthouse.

Years ago I had posted images of these in the forum. Can't seem to find them now. Probably using incorrect search parameters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr T said:
On 10 January 2022 at 8:43 PM, Martinminerva said:

image.jpeg

In the notes I've left myself I have reverse G has lighthouse with two windows and one rock between lighthouse and shield, reverse I has lighthouse with no windows

Not true! Reverse I lighthouse also has two windows as picture above shows, albeit masonry is a bit heavier (and akin to reverse F as Zo Arms says above).

• Like 1