British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

23 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

In for a PLNNY in for a pound 

PLNNY the Elder, or Younger?

Would anyone have a photo of the 62 over 26 overdate please? I've read Rob's notes at the back of Freeman but it would be helpful to see exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Could some confirm or deny my suspicions on this one please? Thinking Reverse D due to the lighthouse and the lack of flagpole. Paired with 7.

Screenshot_2021-09-10-06-37-28-094.jpg

Yes it is. I was watching that for a while (it's a USA seller), but thought the price had gone too high for it. 1861 7+D is much less rare than 1860 7+D...

Were you the winner??

Well done, if so - good Freeman number ticked off!

Edited by Martinminerva

Yes, a US seller. I missed the end of the auction last time it was out and was the only bidder, the other day.

£74 Inc shipping and eBay's VAT.

Looks live a reverse D to me as well - the lighthouse matches.

One thing that I have found frustrating in the search for varieties of half pennies, is the huge amount of information that is available. 

I have 2 editions of Freeman's work, 1970 and the Rotographic edition 2016. A copy of David Groom's Bronze Varieties. Salzman. The Dracott articles are stored on my phone. A free access to Google. And the wealth of knowledge within the forum. I am aware of Peck, Gouby and Mal Lewendon but don't have their work as yet.

All invaluable but not together as one source.

Stumbled across this a short while ago whilst searching the net. 

A Treatise on Varieties of British Fractional Bronze.

Tom Shumann.

Published by Lulu, to order.

Helpfully they advertise at the bottom of this page. Or they do on my phone.

Ordered a copy a few days ago. Is anyone else aware of it or has a copy?

Screenshot_2021-09-26-19-24-36-128.jpg

• Like 1

Please let me know if it's as good as it sounds and I'll get a copy to update my halfpenny site.

It will probably be a week or so before it arrives. They print to order and then the journey from the US.

Will keep you posted but it does sound promising.

Well. The eagerly awaited tome arrived this morning.

I've had a good look through it and put it under the stairs.

At the back.

The spare room needs painting.

Urgently.

• Sad 1

All I can say, is that I'll stick with Freeman, the Dracott articles and here, thank you. Just a personal opinion.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

All I can say, is that I'll stick with Freeman, the Dracott articles and here, thank you. Just a personal opinion.

I use all the above AND Richards website..

I think I'll print it out and have a GREAT REFERENCE BOOK!!! It will just need to be updated periodically...

Agreed.

An excellent website. Extremely informative with useful accompanying photos. Very easy to follow.

Thanks, although I have neglected it through the summer. If anyone has additions/corrections etc I shall have plenty of time in the winter to update it.

On 9/27/2021 at 5:17 AM, Zo Arms said:

One thing that I have found frustrating in the search for varieties of half pennies, is the huge amount of information that is available. 

I have 2 editions of Freeman's work, 1970 and the Rotographic edition 2016. A copy of David Groom's Bronze Varieties. Salzman. The Dracott articles are stored on my phone. A free access to Google. And the wealth of knowledge within the forum. I am aware of Peck, Gouby and Mal Lewendon but don't have their work as yet.

All invaluable but not together as one source.

Stumbled across this a short while ago whilst searching the net. 

A Treatise on Varieties of British Fractional Bronze.

Tom Schumann.

Published by Lulu, to order.

Helpfully they advertise at the bottom of this page. Or they do on my phone.

Ordered a copy a few days ago. Is anyone else aware of it or has a copy?

Screenshot_2021-09-26-19-24-36-128.jpg

I wrote that book so my opinion will be biased but I was also frustrated by the number of references I needed on hand, especially for halfpenny varieties. If you go to https://www.commonwealthcoins.net/book/british-fractional-bronze there's a link to a .pdf of the farthing section only if you want to get an idea of what it's like.

Major differences to Freeman are that I consider Victoria obverses 11 and 12 the same (I looked at many photos and it looked like both obverses exhibited similar features, not to mention that some published diagnostics are contradictory) and the George VI varieties get some proper coverage.

Any feedback, please send it my way.

• Like 1

Would anyone care to speculate what has happened to this coin? Appears to be some extra hatching to the base of the shield and some misaligned teeth on the rim.

Same coin obverse. An additional A to the bridge of the nose and a spare colon dot after Victoria.

Shattered die hits?

Screenshot_2021-10-19-20-44-52-615.jpg

Thinking this is a 14 + N pairing not listed by Freeman but recognised by Dracott?

Ob legend away from Lin circle, nearly touching head and high bridge/eye format. Wide date.

Not fussed if 15 though.

Screenshot_2021-10-17-16-33-30-303.jpg

• Like 4

My only thought is... die fill has occurred, then somehow the build-up in the die has fallen off and been struck onto the coin. Maybe.

I'm not sure what else it could be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

Thinking this is a 14 + N pairing not listed by Freeman but recognised by Dracott?

Ob legend away from Lin circle, nearly touching head and high bridge/eye format. Wide date.

It certainly is, and quite a find - well done! (The easiest identifier is the less bulgy forehead than obv. 15) The condition is smashing too! I believe this might only be the fourth known? Is it yours? An eBay find? Hats off to you!!

Edited by Martinminerva
  • Like 1

Sure looks like a 14 & N...

Nice find and nicer than mine

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

It certainly is, and quite a find - well done! (The easiest identifier is the less bulgy forehead than obv. 15) The condition is smashing too! I believe this might only be the fourth known? Is it yours? An eBay find? Hats off to you!!

It does appear to be obverse 14, see if you can count the border teeth, 152 teeth for 14 and 149 for 15.

Well done, brilliant find !

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:02 AM, Mr T said:

My only thought is... die fill has occurred, then somehow the build-up in the die has fallen off and been struck onto the coin. Maybe.

I'm not sure what else it could be.

Mystery solved. The coin arrived yesterday. Both the reverse and obverse are unmarked, so I'm guessing that it's some form of reflection on the lens.

I do understand and like your die fill theory though.

WP_20211024_19_43_22_Pro.jpg

• Like 1