British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cheers Rob. :)

51 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Well Done !

Like Hens Teeth !

About time I got lucky with a punt - I couldn't ID it from the seller's group photo so pretty pleased. :)

I thought I'd see how my F264 compares to others out there. Well, I would if I could find any. :wacko:

"Worthpoint", whatever that is, has a picture of a green one that was on ebay but no further info without signing up.

None at LCA or DNW that I can see. 

Can anyone point me to past auctions for this one please? I'm probably just not looking in the right place. :(

Cheers.

Here is the example in my collection.

I thought I had another, but I can't locate it now. Possibly sold on ebay,  but I can't access my records in turbolister...

20210131_102820.jpg

On 1/29/2021 at 6:51 PM, mrbadexample said:

I thought I'd see how my F264 compares to others out there. Well, I would if I could find any. :wacko:

"Worthpoint", whatever that is, has a picture of a green one that was on ebay but no further info without signing up.

None at LCA or DNW that I can see. 

Can anyone point me to past auctions for this one please? I'm probably just not looking in the right place. :(

Cheers.

1860 Fr264.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks both. :)

I bought half a dozen 1860/61 halfpennies to alleviate lockdown boredom. I couldn't see much detail, only that the 1860 was toothed.

2+B, F261?

DSCF6823a(s).jpg

This was the best of the 1861s, perhaps the only one that will ultimately be identifiable.

I think this is obverse 5 with the die flaw on the forehead? If so it's the first obverse 5 I've had in hand so nice to see what the flaw looks like. Reverse E so F274?

1861 ½d F274 (3s).jpg

I thought I might have been lucky and bagged a 6/8 (F274A) but although it's the right die pairing it doesn't match other examples I've found. Dracott lists a 6/6 (but no 6/8) but I think if this was a match he'd have mentioned the 8 too. 

Can I ask what others think please?

1861 ½d F274 (4).jpg

44 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

This was the best of the 1861s, perhaps the only one that will ultimately be identifiable.

I think this is obverse 5 with the die flaw on the forehead? If so it's the first obverse 5 I've had in hand so nice to see what the flaw looks like. Reverse E so F274?

1861 ½d F274 (3s).jpg

I don't have my Obverse 5 to hand but from memory it looks right.

24 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I don't have my Obverse 5 to hand but from memory it looks right.

Thanks. :) It doesn't look quite right compared to the example on Richard's site but obviously it's a lot more worn.

The other 4 1861s turned out to be all 7+G, F282 as far as I can tell so nothing exciting there. I didn't have one so the best will fill a gap, and I wanted one to send to the chap who sent me the F269 so he has one of the same date.

For a quid each I'm not too distressed. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I bought half a dozen 1860/61 halfpennies to alleviate lockdown boredom. I couldn't see much detail, only that the 1860 was toothed.

2+B, F261?

DSCF6823a(s).jpg

Can't tell for sure, but I am leaning towards an Obverse 4 or 6.....

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

I thought I might have been lucky and bagged a 6/8 (F274A) but although it's the right die pairing it doesn't match other examples I've found. Dracott lists a 6/6 (but no 6/8) but I think if this was a match he'd have mentioned the 8 too. 

Can I ask what others think please?

1861 ½d F274 (4).jpg

If I did this correctly, it should link to different variants of the F-274a that I posted a while back...

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/3664-coin-aquisition-of-the-week/?page=30&tab=comments#comment-39212

5 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I think there are only 2 leaves in the third group. 

1860 ½d F261 (4).jpg

5 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

If I did this correctly, it should link to different variants of the F-274a that I posted a while back...

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/3664-coin-aquisition-of-the-week/?page=30&tab=comments#comment-39212

Brilliant thank you. :) It appears to match very closely with this one, with the exception of the vertical line. Perhaps an earlier die state?

Do you consider these to be F274 variants or F274A variants? 

F274 B&C.jpg

Just now, mrbadexample said:

Brilliant thank you. :) It appears to match very closely with this one, with the exception of the vertical line. Perhaps an earlier die state?

Do you consider these to be F274 variants or F274A variants? 

F274 B&C.jpg

My personal assessment and attributions are to categorize them as F-274a variants.

Inasmuch as the F-274a is considered to actually be a 6 over higher 6, unlike the F-282a which is clearly a 6 over 8, I consider all the various incarnations of 6 over 6 to be F-274a variants.

Again, these are only my thoughts and how I have classified them in my collection..

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 11:26 PM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Not a 4 Gary, so that leaves 6 ?

12 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Not a 4 Gary, so that leaves 6 ?

From the image, I don't think it is a  2, 3, 5, or 7.... (1 is automatically eliminated inasmuch as the coin does not have a beaded border..)

Leaving either 4 or 6.

If you don't think it's a 4, then it is most likely an obverse 6.

Again, nothing substitutes for direct examination....

On 2/22/2021 at 8:20 PM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

From the image, I don't think it is a  2, 3, 5, or 7.... (1 is automatically eliminated inasmuch as the coin does not have a beaded border..)

Leaving either 4 or 6.

If you don't think it's a 4, then it is most likely an obverse 6.

Again, nothing substitutes for direct examination....

Colons after FD too wide for Obverse 4, I believe.

Can either of you tell me what eliminates obverse 2 please? :unsure: 

5 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Can either of you tell me what eliminates obverse 2 please? :unsure: 

MEA CULPA, NOTHING ELIMINATES IT..

Upon further close examination, I'll recant my opinion and state that I now consider and believe YOUR original assessment of it being an obverse 2 to be the correct one.

It only serves to reinforce my belief that NOTHING substitutes for DIRECT EXAMINATION OF THE COIN IN HAND!!!

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector