British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chingford

Advice please from the Tech savvy crew

I couldn't help but notice the large number of Forum members with Computer technology backgrounds, so I thought who better to give me a little advice on the following.

I am looking to buy a Tablet, curved ball, for my 80 year old Mother, as a silver surfer she can turn the computer on and find her way around it, but finds it cumbersome, she would like something both

portable and lighter, it would need to be fully functional but at the same time user friendly, easy to use and one piece, discounting laptops (too heavy) and Tablets with bits that fall off.

Requirements would be internet connection, photo/video storage, usage would predominately be skype, email and social media, she isn't into gaming yet.

Any/All suggestions/questions would be most welcome

John (Chingford)

From experience, go with one of the top name brands, the others I have experience with all seem to be liable to overheat, slow running and "bits flaking".

I personally have a samsung, and find it ideal for everything, but opinion varies and my mate says he couldn't possibly be parted from his ipad. each to their own I guess.

With Samsung you can add a micro sd card for extra space for your photos, where the apple product will require a subsciption to their cloud once you've used all the ipad internal storage.

Samsung are also considerably cheaper, but quality of both is comparable.

Perhaps a currys/pcworld visit to see which she prefers would be the best option. (I have no experience of miscrosoft tablets, although they do look quite versatile).

36 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

From experience, go with one of the top name brands, the others I have experience with all seem to be liable to overheat, slow running and "bits flaking".

I personally have a samsung, and find it ideal for everything, but opinion varies and my mate says he couldn't possibly be parted from his ipad. each to their own I guess.

With Samsung you can add a micro sd card for extra space for your photos, where the apple product will require a subsciption to their cloud once you've used all the ipad internal storage.

Samsung are also considerably cheaper, but quality of both is comparable.

Perhaps a currys/pcworld visit to see which she prefers would be the best option. (I have no experience of miscrosoft tablets, although they do look quite versatile).

Thankyou for your input, I hadn't considered the SD storage which would be a bonus as preferably I would not want her to have any subscription based addons, next thing She will be downloading apps and voting X Factor!

I have a Curry's locally and will take a trip down there once I have accumulated a few ideas

If you avoid the iPad Pro series (she doesn't need that!), you can get a very capable iPad that's up to date, fast, but without all the bells and whistles of the Pro series. The best thing about it? It's around half the price or less of the Pro series.

It's on sale here: https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/product/apple-ipad-9-7-2018-32gb-wifi-silver-2.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOP_agx1yA2KYFjiimPRwyF9wVDsynHRK_E25Hf6vTCfY3IARzORv-hoCgWcQAvD_BwE for about £50 less than the full price (though I have no idea what that seller is like).

That's the 32GB model which ought to be enough for your mum? My mum got sucked into a "Breezie" via Age UK but that's a Samsung and it's been fine for her.

3 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

If you avoid the iPad Pro series (she doesn't need that!), you can get a very capable iPad that's up to date, fast, but without all the bells and whistles of the Pro series. The best thing about it? It's around half the price or less of the Pro series.

It's on sale here: https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/product/apple-ipad-9-7-2018-32gb-wifi-silver-2.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOP_agx1yA2KYFjiimPRwyF9wVDsynHRK_E25Hf6vTCfY3IARzORv-hoCgWcQAvD_BwE for about £50 less than the full price (though I have no idea what that seller is like).

That's the 32GB model which ought to be enough for your mum? My mum got sucked into a "Breezie" via Age UK but that's a Samsung and it's been fine for her.

Thankyou Peck, I will have a look at the spec on both

1 hour ago, Chingford said:

Thankyou Peck, I will have a look at the spec on both

Has your Mum already got a wifi connection at home, John? 

31 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Has your Mum already got a wifi connection at home, John? 

I have a hardwired connection to a netgear router everyone else connects remotely to that

16 minutes ago, Chingford said:

I have a hardwired connection to a netgear router everyone else connects remotely to that

Right, well in that case I'd go along with what Peck said. The 4G tablets are a lot more expensive for either apple or android, and using a mifi is extra cost on a monthly basis.  

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Right, well in that case I'd go along with what Peck said. The 4G tablets are a lot more expensive for either apple or android, and using a mifi is extra cost on a monthly basis.  

Thankyou

Thankyou all for your contributions and advice, I'll have a read up tomorrow with all suggestions in mind.