British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mr T

1926 and 1927 pennies again

28 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Couldn't the differences be merely down to wear in one die not present in the other? I don't personally see any differences that couldn't be explained that way.

That's what I think and is why the 1927 is uniformly sharper. The 1930 has much weaker detail e.g. the drapery folds and the border teeth.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rob said:

Everything about the 1927 is crisper.

That's because it is a proof coin (sold by LCA)

• Like 1

Alright I guess it's the picture (or rather the lighting) - it looked different enough to me but looking at https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/george-v-1911-1936/1931-1d-s-4055-bn/3948?sn=203068&h=pop and https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/george-v-1911-1936/1931-1d-s-4055-rb/3948?sn=203069&h=pop which seem to have the same generally sharper design show that the feathers are the same.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr T said:

Alright I guess it's the picture (or rather the lighting) - it looked different enough to me but looking at https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/george-v-1911-1936/1931-1d-s-4055-bn/3948?sn=203068&h=pop and https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/george-v-1911-1936/1931-1d-s-4055-rb/3948?sn=203069&h=pop which seem to have the same generally sharper design show that the feathers are the same.

The obverse toning on the first proof is superb. A thing of beauty. 

It isn't either of the Adams or Norweb pieces.

13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The obverse toning on the first proof is superb. A thing of beauty. 

Bear in mind it's a London Coins photo and they don't always capture coins as they look in hand. Their camera sometimes tells porkies.

Just returning to this topic, and in particular 1926 ME pennies.

I do think that a certain amount of possibly exaggerated myth or mystique have entered the numismatic lexicon when it comes to the 1926 ME penny,  given that they are touted as rarer than what they actually are, even in high grade. A trip onto the LCA website for 1926 pennies was very enlightening in this respect. Not exactly in short supply. 

The 1860 Freeman 14 (LCW under foot) changes hands at about the same amount in top grade - maybe slightly less. But they are many orders of magnitude rarer. 

Seems to be that old charismatic price enhancer at work, as with the 1869 to some extent. Rarity doesn't dictate popularity.        

Exactly on that last bit. However, I do think attractive high grade 1926MEs are very scarce indeed. Many seem to have toning issues or just something that isn't quite right. I regret that my own specimen has lost some of its original wonderful lustre that was still there in 1999 when I bought it.

Some of the 62-64RB slabbed bits really are IMO just not there as examples...

• Like 2

As always it is demand that dictates the price rather than straight rarity. There are many more collectors for the few serious 20th century varieties than the far more numerous 19th century ones.

A more modern example is the Kew Gardens 50p - some 200,000 made I believe and much more sought after and expensive than the 2009 Athletics 50p, of which only 17,500 or so were made.

Similarly with the 1869 penny - for any date collectors, it is a must have and far more desirable than the endless minor varieties on the 1860.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Exactly on that last bit. However, I do think attractive high grade 1926MEs are very scarce indeed. Many seem to have toning issues or just something that isn't quite right. I regret that my own specimen has lost some of its original wonderful lustre that was still there in 1999 when I bought it.

Some of the 62-64RB slabbed bits really are IMO just not there as examples...

Oddly seems to happen more often than it should. More lustre (apparently) lost in 19 years, than in the previous 73.  

The 1926ME is really only scarce in average grade. Very very scarce in VF or better, and positively rare in EF or better.