British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Richard2

Badly bent Edward I penny

I thought I would have a go at trying to flatten a couple of hammereds that have been sitting in my coin cabinet for ages. I brought the coins up to cherry red and quenching to anneal them to make it easier to very slowly unfold them. Here’s one that I’m particularly pleased with. I haven’t been able to pin it down to a class, I’m thinking class 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard6A54AD1F-C94D-4262-B4F0-EF27363EBD85.jpeg.93b49176db02041b022a92808fe251aa.jpeg

A6AF34FA-2071-4853-8A9A-6CE6F3E2CC14.jpeg

12B13726-B97E-41D8-A216-9ED78713BE1D.jpeg

C8B129A2-EF19-4BAB-9C17-40DC2CE2B375.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi nicely done, coin is class 3d London mint ( crescent stops, early S, Normally barred N ,drapery as 2 wedges)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave, you make it seem simple, but years of studying I presume makes it seem so. Yes really pleased with the way it unfolded, slight stress cracking as can be seen but the Kings head detail must be one of my best Edward pennies I’ve dug.

Spurred on by this success I had a go at another folded penny, this time a John short cross. This one has,I think, came out better than the Edward. I will post up pictures later if I get time.

thanks again Dave,

Richard