British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

1876 noH penny, does it exist?

Interesting listing on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mega-Rare-1876-without-the-H-Victoria-Penny-in-very-nice-grade-FREEMAN-ND-p1/312207155131?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

listed as 1876 no H penny, k

Gouby illustrates one from the Bamford collection, but states it was regarded by him as die fill

Are any known?

Edited by davidrj

David - to the best of my knowledge, literally all 1876 pennies were minted by Heatons. So Gouby is probably right when he says die fill for those which appear to be no H. 

• Like 1

That was my understanding too.

All references to it that I am aware of also consider it a filled die..... Not a true no H...

That being said,  consider the classic example of the so called 1922 "plain" Lincoln cent (US)...  They were only struck at the Denver mint and should have a D mintmark ... However due to a filled die we now have a 1922 WEAK D and the rare 1922 PLAIN....

This example gives credence to the theory that it is merely a filled die.....

Its rarity and value will be determined by market demand....

I have always considered the 1882 Jamaican CuNi penny without an H to be similar, inconceivable that the mint would produce then in the middle of its refurbishment to split a total Mintage of 48,000

To me the latter looks a bit different and the "London" 1882 Jamaica pennies I seem to be able to spot even when worn. Haven't worked out the technical bits on that (got one off ebay for 20 USD)....

I think the real answer to this is the price being asked - £199 for a possibly unique coin? I'd say "chancer" myself.

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I think the real answer to this is the price being asked - £199 for a possibly unique coin? I'd say "chancer" myself.

I agree, and the marks below the date do suggest that the H was once there, or is very weakly struck.  I suspect it would be clearer in the hand.

Jerry

• Like 1

Looking at the picture of just the date it looks like an unbarred H to me.

Many years ago when still a bit green I bought an alleged 1876 No H penny, sold as such, and for all the world looked like it was (pictures attached), but when held at a slant to the light the H was definitely visible.....beware tricks of the light! 🧐

1876 No H Rev.jpg

1876 No H Date .jpg

• Like 2

looks to have been polished off to me

On 8/6/2018 at 11:10 AM, PWA 1967 said:

Looking at the picture of just the date it looks like an unbarred H to me.

Absolutely agreed.

You can tell from the way the date sits in the top 2/3 of the exergue - in other words there is the space below where the H sat.

its there, Its worn, I have the Jamaican 1882 as well, worn but nothing where the H should be, but other details of similar depth are there.

• Like 1