British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Madness

Indexing The British Numismatic Journal

As someone newly interested in Numismatics I would find it helpful to have an index of all articles included in the British Numismatic Journal over the years. The intention would be to make it easier to find topics that I have an interest in.  I intend to include the following information:

• Author
  • Title
  • Issue/Volume
  • Hyperlink directing user to the relevant (freely available) online article
  • Up to three subject fields
  • Searchable

I couldn't find one, so decided to start building it myself.  Could you please help me in the following ways?

• Please let me know if such an index already exists.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel!
  • Do you have any suggestions for content or arrangement?
  • Would it be useful to your personally if I made this index available online?
  • Would I need to get permission from the British Numismatic Society?

I've started creating it using Excel as I'm very familiar with it.  I'm sure there are other applications out there that will make it more user-friendly if others were interested in using it.  As there are many people here more tech-savvy than me, perhaps you could suggest some software.  A cloud based catalogue or database perhaps.  

Thanks for your assistance!

Edited by Madness

There is an "index of sorts" for vols 1 - 80 which I have as a pdf, and could upload it to Dropbox sometime?

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

There is an "index of sorts" for vols 1 - 80 which I have as a pdf, and could upload it to Dropbox sometime?

That would be helpful, thanks @Peckris 2.  I'd like to make articles easy to find and to search by subject rather than browsing through are list.  I've found a few examples of free Library Management Systems that are cloud based that I'll mess around with.  Overkill, no doubt, but superior to an Excel spreadsheet.  Might need permission, though, from BNJ publishers.  

9 hours ago, Madness said:

That would be helpful, thanks @Peckris 2.  I'd like to make articles easy to find and to search by subject rather than browsing through are list.  I've found a few examples of free Library Management Systems that are cloud based that I'll mess around with.  Overkill, no doubt, but superior to an Excel spreadsheet.  Might need permission, though, from BNJ publishers.  

Will do, though it won't be today (Big Day Out...).

• Like 1

I've started this project by opening my own virtual "library".  It doesn't have any content, serving only to catalogue freely-available online resources that are related to numismatics.  I'm beginning by entering all articles includes in the British Numismatic Journal, but intended on cataloguing other material down the track.

Here's the Link: Madness' Online Numismatic References

Please feel free to go in and have a look around.  Try clicking some items in the scrolling "New Arrivals" bar.  I've added URL's for each entry, but for some reason they're not visible to anyone but me.  I've circumvented this issue by putting the URL in the Call Number field.  Just copy this link into a browser to get to the on-line copy of the BNJ full article.  

Please let me know of any problems you encounter.  So far there are only a few items, but more will be added soon.  

Edited by Madness

It's a waste of time, isn't it?

Here is the Dropbox link to the BNJ index, for anyone who is interested. (I've set it up to download directly without taking you to the Dropbox site).

It's laid out by monarch among other things, so if you look under George III for example, you will see that an article on 1787 shillings is in Vol 74.

BNJ index

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 1

The catalogue I'm creating will almost certainly not be as good as the index linked by @Peckris 2.  However, it makes content searchable by title, subject and author as well as providing a direct link to the relevant article.   

• Like 2