British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Madness

Stuff to Make Us Laugh

1 hour ago, Sword said:

The King holding scissors instead of sword variety.

980795495_ee-Copy.jpg.b8bd532178484f5c8ccd4da3b94f2735.jpg

LOTR King of the dead, dead spit

• Haha 1

Taking into account what's happening at the moment, I've started a new Association - 'Alcoholics Unanimous'.

If you don't fancy a drink, you ring us up and we talk you into having one.....

• Like 1

This one arrived in an email today - first belly laugh I've had in ages!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Specsavers down under have a good range of ads. Look for Specsavers banned ad on Youtube. Certainly wouldn't be shown in the UK

But these might well be:

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Taking into account what's happening at the moment, I've started a new Association - 'Alcoholics Unanimous'.

If you don't fancy a drink, you ring us up and we talk you into having one.....

Is there a 12 step programme, or is the pub further away than that?

• Haha 1

That's very good...!

• Like 1

I'm not half as drinkled as some thinkle peep I are!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27249970-0-image-m-25_1587003471505.jpg

Edited by copper123
"we have had a complaint that your not self isolateing tom"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Are we supposed to laugh at the cartoon or the linguistic mistakes in the sentence or both? 😀

Truly amazing achievement Captain Moore! 12.3 million raised already. It's the best news story for such a long time. 

Edited by Sword
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Sword said:

Are we supposed to laugh at the cartoon or the linguistic mistakes in the sentence or both? 😀

You left out two commas....:)

We have discussed the Oxford comma already. I believe it is optional. 

We all seem to like our music so, how about a festival?

poster.jpg

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Sword said:

It's not optional in the case of something like:

• my favourite foods are fish, chips and blancmange

where it should be...

• my favourite foods are fish, chips, and blancmange

which avoids the inference that I enjoy chips with blancmange, which is how it reads without the comma.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sword said:

The first of the two commas missed out is a correct comma.

The second one missed out is the 'serial comma', ( sometimes called the 'Oxford' comma ) used particularly before 'and' as in Peckris' clear example.

It avoids confusion. It isn't like a slow change of usage, like Americans saying 'March 6th' instead of 'March the 6th'

However, when an American says 'write me'  instead of 'write to me'  you  could, correctly but _pedantically_  take out paper and pencil

and write the word  'me'.....but they still say it like that because if they wanted you to think that you should write down the word 'me'

then they would instruct you to do just that.....  things shift.   

We shift and the Americans don't sometimes- the commonly used and very old 'gotten' with its German past tense ending only really exists here in words and phrases like 'ill-gotten gains' and 'forgotten'.  We changed, they didn't.

However, leaving things out to make things genuinely unclear ( as in Peckris' clear example ) is the reverse (converse? inverse? ) of what language is for.

There is a reverse snobbery running in this country regarding English usage, that is often wrong, and the _reasons_ for it should be addressed.

Mind you, in a country with such a wide disparate class based structure, it's hardly surprising.

The amusing opposite of this is when politicians attempt to look educated by using words such as 'referenda' when of course it never existed in Latin

in the first place...gerunds remain singular.

I guess we have a different tolerance towards English usage. To be honest, I am not particularly convinced that commas must be used in the sentence I wrote. The original sentence is somehow different in my view as it contains errors ("your" instead of "you're", "isolateing" instead of "isolating" and the absence of capital letters for "we" and "tom") that are not socially acceptable. 

I believe that the usage of the Oxford comma is stylistic in nature. It is not technically wrong to omit it even if the sentence is clearer by using it. If a sentence is unclear, then rephrasing it might be a better option than inserting an Oxford comma.

23 hours ago, Sword said:

Truly amazing achievement Captain Moore! 12.3 million raised already. It's the best news story for such a long time. 

Now in excess of £18 million raised! 

... and so they are stopping his pension...

309633aa-7e7f-4ffc-9331-b61d1938da76.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Sword said:

I guess we have a different tolerance towards English usage. To be honest, I am not particularly convinced that commas must be used in the sentence I wrote.

I believe that the usage of the Oxford comma is stylistic in nature. It is not technically wrong to omit it even if the sentence is clearer by using it. If a sentence is unclear, then rephrasing it might be a better option than inserting an Oxford comma.

"The original sentence is somehow different in my view as it contains errors /  that are not socially acceptable. "

SO DOES YOURS!!!!!!!!!!

SO WHAT????

I don't care that you are 'not particularly convinced'.

Tolerance has nothing to do with it.

Your sentence is clearer with commas.

Calling it  'the Oxford comma'  as if it's some weird stylistic notation  IS   weird and stylistic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do people have this odd phobia about it?

Is it a class thing?

Anti-elitist claptrap?

It's just a bloody comma, like the other one you left out.

Subordinate clauses are not a crime, you know.

Or do you not understand them?

I don't care - it doesn't matter to me at all.

If you want your use of language to be difficult to understand, go right ahead.......

Be my guest.

I will just ignore the mistakes. Many people on here don't spell very well.  No-one has a pop at them.

Who cares?

BUT when YOU start pointing out  'linguistic mistakes', as if you are somehow the  Grammar Police, get ready for YOUR mistakes to be held up to the light.

(Now try that last sentence again WITHOUT the two commas.

It's not as clear, IS IT?????

There you go.)

• Like 1

And at this moment, I think a little light entertainment is called for. Gilbert & Sullivan anyone?

• Haha 5

Might be there is just some misunderstanding. I assumed that the original sentence wasn't written by anyone on the forum. It is a caption to a cartoon pasted in from somewhere. This is an informal forum and people don't always have the time to proof-read their posts.  I don't go round pointing out typos / spellings mistakes made by others on the forum and I am certain I have made many over the years. 

A music based question.

What's the difference between the Rolling Stones and a Scotsman?
One says, "Hey, you. Get off of my cloud." And the other says "Hey, Mccloud. Get off of my ewe."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Is it a class thing?

Reminds me of Nancy Mitford, of Mitford sister's fame, with her U and non-U speech and the reasoning behind it. I found this link.

https://uncommon-courtesy.com/2014/04/18/nancy-mitford-and-u-vs-non-u-speech/

Blakey, wireless or radio? 😂

My lockdown keep fit tips.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room on each side. With a 5kg potato bag in each hand, extend your arm straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute and relax.

Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of days, move up to 10kg potato bags. Then try 50kg potato bags and eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100kg potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more then a full minute. (I'm now at this level).

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Diaconis said:

Blakey, wireless or radio? 😂

What a good question- normally 'radio',   rarely  'wireless'- mainly if a good Radio 4 play is on...

Pardon? or What?