British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Yes it happened to me again a few weeks ago .

Fedex are not interested as they just pass the money on.

If you go onto www.hmrc.gov.uk

Type in the search box custom duty on post ,there is a form to print off.

They were really helpfull when i phoned them up and as i am not the sharpest tool in the box,they told me how to fill it in.

The form gets posted to border force in coventry,atleast i think it was there as the wife posted it and although i have a copy she is not in to tell me where it is 🙂

Mine was with royal mail and dont know if that makes a difference but would still phone them up as they were really helpfull.

Edited by PWA 1967

53 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I've just received another invoice from Fedex charging 20% VAT for a numismatic item from Stacks Bowers - I've written to them saying it should be 5% but I'm not holding my breath.

Any advice chaps ?

It could be that Stacks are not filling in the boxes correctly because I usually get charged 5% by FEDEX, UPS and RM.

8 hours ago, secret santa said:

I've just received another invoice from Fedex charging 20% VAT for a numismatic item from Stacks Bowers - I've written to them saying it should be 5% but I'm not holding my breath.

Any advice chaps ?

What HS code appears on the shipping document?

3 hours ago, Nick said:

What HS code appears on the shipping document?

What's that and where would I find it ?

10 hours ago, secret santa said:

What's that and where would I find it ?

It's the code that is specified by the exporter that tells the importer what is contained in the package and thus what rate to charge.  It should be on the Fedex documentation visible on the outside of the package.

The HS code also tells customs what dutiable band the contents fall into. It would be useful if we could determine the lowest rated commodity code for customs and pass on that info to sellers before they ship.

9705000090 is 5% rated and covers coins, although it could be debateable when it comes to gold and possibly silver.

The biggest problem as i am led to believe is by signing for a package your accepting any charges and one courier only does this a week later on a seperate invoice.

If once you have the item you can claim a refund ,but are unable to do anything untill its in your possesion ,so a bit of a catch 22.

Alternatively if you dont sign the item is just returned to the sender.

The Post Office are the worst offenders as they charge clearance fee + VAT on non dutiable items

7 hours ago, Nick said:

It's the code that is specified by the exporter that tells the importer what is contained in the package and thus what rate to charge.  It should be on the Fedex documentation visible on the outside of the package.

Fedex are smart - they mail you an invoice about a week after delivery, just when you've thrown the packaging away !!!!

On 11/9/2018 at 12:23 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Yes it happened to me again a few weeks ago .

Fedex are not interested as they just pass the money on.

If you go onto www.hmrc.gov.uk

Type in the search box custom duty on post ,there is a form to print off.

They were really helpfull when i phoned them up and as i am not the sharpest tool in the box,they told me how to fill it in.

The form gets posted to border force in coventry,atleast i think it was there as the wife posted it and although i have a copy she is not in to tell me where it is 🙂

Mine was with royal mail and dont know if that makes a difference but would still phone them up as they were really helpfull.

Received my second letter today from Border force to confirm a refund which like the other will be paid to me in the next couple of weeks ☺️

Just wish i had known what to do before.

Important to keep the envelope and receipt from the purchase if you think its wrong.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Had another duty bill that is wrong today ,so another letter to Coventry.

Although i have one thats been awaiting clearance at Midlands airport since the 7th APRIL.........Think they may of lost it 😮

I refused to pay the last Fedex bill @ 20% and they raised a query and eventually reduced their invoice some 3 months later although I received several very threatening letters from their debt collection agents despite assurances that I didn't need to worry - it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I gave up buying (even at $2 bucks to the £) a James 1 1/-. I really lost the will to live....send it normal post.Aunt Judy's Xmas card arrives every year.....and vice versa.

Edited by Peter

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

I gave up buying (even at $2 bucks to the £) a James 1 1/-. I really lost the will to live....send it normal post.Aunt Judy's Xmas card arrives every year.....and vice versa.

The best postage from the US is USPS (United States postal service) tracked. I Forget the exact cost, but it was very low. 

The item I got from Bob @RLC35 was posted on 16th July and arrived on 25th to be signed for by me. Could not fault it. Here's a screenshot of the latter part of the journey:-

USPS1.PNG

• Like 1

Yes, the last penny I bought from Stacks Bowers came via UPS without any problem.