British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Madness

What's Your Job in Real Life?

As per thread title, I'm interested to find out a little more about everyone here including your day jobs.  If you're retired, what was your primary occupation when you still had one?

I'm not working at the moment, but have a Bachelor of Music degree.  Worked as a high school music teacher for about four years and a full-time private instrumental music teacher for about two.  Also toiled in a very unglamorous administrative role in the insurance industry for seven years (loss adjusting firm).   At the moment I do house chores and run around after my primary-school aged children while my wife works as a records officer at the local council.

• Like 1

I program the business systems for a well known yogurt manufacturer who has "cornered" the market.

• Like 2

My longest career was in computing .. but we're talking IBM mainframes here, not the kind of device everyone carries around now.

• Like 1

Retired Doctor.

Jerry

Retired Quantity Surveyor/Estimator

Insurance Risk analyst.

I was a litho printer for 15 years and have now been in dementia care for the last 10 years

Planned for early retirement began last year. 

Before that, 30 years working in publishing as an illustrator, mostly children's books. 

Before that, making a racket with electric guitars.

• Like 1

Geochemist Dr but also did Classics as Uni ....health retired but still help run the charity I set up in Africa working with kids living with HIV 

• Like 1

My wife is a professional (Dr) classicist so a thumbs up from here Larry.

• Like 1

But she is a real Classicist....I just did an extra degree out of wildness and a love of ancient history and I am half Greek I discovered at the ripe old age of 20 LOL  I think I was somehow trying to get back to my roots and I love declensions..... 

Euripides trousers, Eumenides trousers…..

Boom, boom. 

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week, matinees Tuesday and Thursday, tell your friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

But she is a real Classicist....I just did an extra degree out of wildness and a love of ancient history and I am half Greek I discovered at the ripe old age of 20 LOL  I think I was somehow trying to get back to my roots and I love declensions..... 

λυω  λυεις λυει  λυειμος λυειτε λυειν

(I'm not guaranteeing that - it was a long long time ago!)

• Like 1

Retired 10 years ago, prior to that I sold IT Support Services, Nationwide in the USA.

Feeling a bit out of place.  Once again I have stumbled across a hobby dominated by intelligent professionals.  

19 minutes ago, Madness said:

Feeling a bit out of place.  Once again I have stumbled across a hobby dominated by intelligent professionals.  

I think you have as much as any of us .....

2 hours ago, DrLarry said:

I was joking I dont or didnt like them ....I cannot find the apostrophe on my new keyboard '  OK FOUND IT  DON'T AND didn'#'T OH BUGGER IT YOU KNOW WHAT i MEAN

WHEN DID THAT STUPID @ SIGN BECOME MORE IMPORTANT THAN AN APOSTROPHE? 

Edited by DrLarry

21 minutes ago, Madness said:

Not everyone 😊

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Madness said:

As per thread title, I'm interested to find out a little more about everyone here including your day jobs.  If you're retired, what was your primary occupation when you still had one?

Before I took early retirement, my career was in NHS/university histopathology labs

IT professional (Senior Technical Analyst) in the Oracle/Peoplesoft space at the local University.

But I feel in love with old coins as a primary school kid a long time ago ......  

Early Retired now, prior to that I had a Travel Agency for 12 years, before that I was IT Consultant on IBM Mainframes (Like Peck) both with IBM and other companies. Before that I was British Army - Royal Engineers all round the world.

I collected coins for a while as a child and then got back into them while I was being a Travel Agent (too little intellectual challenge there!).

1 hour ago, Garrett said:

IT professional (Senior Technical Analyst) in the Oracle/Peoplesoft space at the local University.

But I feel in love with old coins as a primary school kid a long time ago ......  

I work for an Oracle partner, mainly focused on Unix and Linux. Also partnered with NetApp, VMware, Dell, HPE, Lenovo, Veeam, Cisco, AWS, Microsoft, Azure etc etc. Been here a long time now, were small but very good at what we do around Unix.

• Like 1

I aspire to delivering junk mail.