British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Madness

Madness' Coin Grading Training Ground

7 hours ago, Madness said:

With one final roll of the dice I put in a bid below estimate and won the auction for the MS-65 1787 Sixpence.  Comparison of the coin to my database shows it to probably be a HS27 with a weakish strike that obscures the seventh string.  

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-DO12Z

Unfortunately Stacks Bowers' invoice includes unexpected items such as a wire fee, insurance and an exorbitant shipping charge.  My winning bid was $280 USD.  The final price with all fees included is an eye-watering $431.50 USD.  Wouldn't have bid if I knew it would cost this much but I'm committed now.  

In short, I'm unable to pay them immediately.  Has anyone dealt with them recently?  Are they harsh on defaulters?  Is there any possibility of working out a payment plan with them?

Thanks!

Ouch!

I would try and find a way to pay promptly,  their terms appear fairly strict (though I have no personal experience of them) and I suspect any default would work out expensive in the long run. Can you not eliminate the wire fee by paying with PayPal, as a ‘gift’ if necessary? Even a standard PayPal fee would probably be cheaper than the wire charge. They give the sale price as $336, I presume this includes the buyers premium?

Nice coin though.

Jerry

• Like 1

The site says the winning price was $336? (Which presumably includes buyers premium which you would have known about before bidding). However, to go from there to $431 seems very harsh. Did they mention all those charges in the small print or could you challenge them on it?

Yes unfortunately i think it will be correct ,although yes the fees are high 😊

The commision of 20% plus if you convert to english pounds the £70 for the other bits and pieces.

I think looking in Australia you dont have to pay any customs ,although i may be wrong and that would of bumped it up even more.

I am sure the amount to pay will be broken down and will be exactly what it says in there terms.

Unfortunately you will just have to pay them and one of those lessons most of us have learned at some point.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

The site says the winning price was $336? (Which presumably includes buyers premium which you would have known about before bidding). However, to go from there to $431 seems very harsh. Did they mention all those charges in the small print or could you challenge them on it?

I was fully aware of the buyer's premium, but $50 USD for postage and $10 USD for insurance was covered by some phrase to the effect of "postage may be higher for international destinations".  For heaven's sake!  The coin only weighs three grams!  $35 USD wire charge?  Hmm.  I could ask them to consider using a more economical postal service, but don't like my chances.  I'll certainly be challenging the wire charge, though.  

Edited by Madness
  • Like 1

I don't know what the regular mail insurance limit is in the US, but suspect it will be aligned with this country where the maximum insured value is £250. Over that and you are using a courier (including Parcelforce) which is considerably higher, or if you have separate insurance, you can send it regular mail. Prices can escalate. If I want to send a higher value thing to the US with a courier, the price is in the £30 area, but can be more depending on value. For imports from the US to me, $30 is a minimum charge whichever auction house it comes from.

They won't send it on a wing and a prayer as they are responsible for it getting to you, so arses will be covered.

• Like 1