British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

James1980

Total newbie question re 2005 sovereign

Hello all,

Firstly apologies for what what is probably a silly question and secondly, apologies that it’s regarding a modern coin. 

So a little background, I’m not a coin collector but I do trust gold more than the conservatives to provide me with a pension and for the obvious tax advantages I buy U.K. bullion coins. 

While browsing my usual online retailer I saw a 2005 Sovereign and purchased it as I will often “flip” sought after dates or designs to further add to the afore mentioned pension. 

So, the coin arrived and immeadiately I notice it’s in a plastic capsule which is not normal for my retailer but I didn’t think too much of it untill I got the coin out of the safe to show my daughter who dose take an interest in coin hunting/collecting. 

“This ones special daddy” was the considered response from her so I asked why and she pointed out that the relief was frosted as per the silver proof 50p’s I bought her to kick start her collection. 

After some brief online research (aka google images) I see that the bullion grade coins do not have this frosting and the only coins I’ve seen with this detail are proofs. 

So my question is this, have I stumbled upon the worlds cheapest 2005 proof coin (I paid 2% over spot) or is it a BU coin?

As far as I can work out the mint only released bullion and proof grades of this year but I’d like some advice before I think about grading it for my daughters collection.

Thanks in advance

It could be a proof. Pictures of both sides would help.

Also uploaded a short video to on the same link comparing the coin to what is known to be just a bullion coin as it was easier to capture fine details

Does appear to be a Proof coin - I assume you have checked it is Sovereign size and not half sovereign as both had the same reverse in 2005.

As to value - you have done OK but not stunningly brilliantly. If it had it's original box and certificate it would make over £400, but without those they make only a little more than the bullion coins. Actual price as ever will depend on how much someone wants one. There are far more of the proof half sovereigns that have sold on the net recently, and these are only making bullion value without their boxes.

But you certainly haven't lost out, as long as it is genuine!

Thanks for your reply Paddy,

Yes the coin is the correct size and weight and I’ve no reason to doubt the supplier. 

I did some browsing and I figured on a realistic value of around £450 IF it was certificated but as it appears to be of some quality I was considering getting it graded and put by for the little one. 

on the assumption that grading fees would cancel out any added value at today’s prices would this be a worthwhile investment for the future? There’s so much I’m not sure of for example, I believe less than 20,000 proof coins where struck but I couldn’t tell you if that is a particularly low mintage or not! 

James

Edited by James1980
Spelling

I am not the person to advise you on Grading coins - I don't do it myself at all. I can see that encapsulated examples make appreciably more than raw, so it may be worthwhile.

Mintage for 2005 is quoted as 12500 in Proof, 45542 in bullion. This is not hugely different to other years - Proof coins in 2009 and 2010 were 16000 but in other years around there range from around 8000 to 12500.