British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DrLarry

Green Pennies, half pennies Victoria

I am in search of Green Pennies , pennies and half pennies that have been buried.  I know many of you might find the idea strange (well it is me ) but I am doing some experiments with green pennies and wondered if anyone has any they have dug which they might be looking to get rid of (cheap!) usually collectors don't like them so they have limited value except to strange people but I find them useful.  Victorian ones are best but also earlier dates pennies or half pennies perhaps farthings.  The process of the gradual replacement of the outer layer of copper alloy by percolating ground waters usually results in a complex of mixed carbonates and oxides and I ,being a fossil man, am interested in the transition.  Happy to buy them but as happy to rent them or loan them or if you are feeling generous give them away.  As long as they have not been chemically altered by that funny paste sadly on sale in many metal detecting clubs.  THanks

In fact can I broaden this and ask if anyone has coins that show considerable corrosion on the surface even irregular corrosion having been buried as I wish to study variable corrosion on the surface of coins (not Roman ) thanks 

I'll have a look through all my crap boxes Larry, I know I should have quite a few lying about the place.

On 7/20/2018 at 3:23 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I'll have a look through all my crap boxes Larry, I know I should have quite a few lying about the place.

oh great thanks very much I would really appreciate it ...have a great day 

Larry 

Does anyone know why when I am try to reply to thrupence and quote him and give my reply it will not work?  I keep being re-directed to a page that say "forbidden" bearing in mind that I believe everything to be a conspiracy (according to the "most" in the forum) is there perhaps a more scientific reason why this might be happening .....it sends me a site selling coins 

No idea. I can't see that post in this thread.

I haven't forgotten you either - I have tracked down 3 green pennies so far, but I know there are more and would rather visit the post office just once ;)

22 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

No idea. I can't see that post in this thread.

I haven't forgotten you either - I have tracked down 3 green pennies so far, but I know there are more and would rather visit the post office just once ;)

thanks yes of course I am in no rush 

Guest 1073jak

IMG_20180818_200634.thumb.jpg.d5a520a1ec95d94e798f8331fd2c04e6.jpg

On 8/2/2018 at 9:17 PM, DrLarry said:

Hi guys I have one. Though regrettably not I can't be without it sorry. It's  a 43I. 

IMG_20180818_200634.jpg

Guest 1073jak
On 8/2/2018 at 9:17 PM, DrLarry said:

They're were 9 to 12 million of these struck at Bombay mint. They were Mainly given to soldiers to spend on leave pass from India to Australia. 

17 hours ago, Guest 1073jak said:

They're were 9 to 12 million of these struck at Bombay mint. They were Mainly given to soldiers to spend on leave pass from India to Australia. 

were they issued in a corroded state ?

Are these any of any use to you Larry? if so pm me

IMGP4055.JPG

On 8/19/2018 at 3:41 PM, will1976 said:

Are these any of any use to you Larry? if so pm me

IMGP4055.JPG

Hi will sorry I have been out of the loop for a month or so , yes some will be useful I am working on an art piece on the first world war and one side is about the trenches and all green blue and mud so the GV might be useful