British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I welcome some input please :)

I found this while out walking with a spade and detector, and its actually not in terrible nick given what it appears to be. I'd be most grateful of some confirmation though, as I'm normally wrong with anything before 1722.

As per the title, I think it's a James II Limerick farthing.

WIN_20180717_10_09_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180717_10_09_12_Pro.jpg

Certainly looks like that to me. I have it in the Coincraft book of 1999 and it fits everything there. Date will be 1691 although they note that the "1" is struck in such a way that it can look like a "3". You also have the "reversed N in Hibenia" variation, which is recognised.

The book gives a value in VG of £50 - but this was in 1999...

Thanks @Paddy, as for the date, it's a bit too destroyed to read but all I've seen would suggest that it can only be 1691 for this coin.

It was found in the trackmarks of a rather large excavator, so I think it's fared quite well!

As for £50, if someone wants to pay that or more, I'll happily let them :) (Other forms of payment are also accepted lol)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Paddy said:

You also have the "reversed N in Hibernia" variation...

How do you write your Ns Paddy? :blink:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

How do you write your Ns Paddy? :blink:

My mistook! It is a normal N - must have been too early in the morning. Anyway, Coincraft reckon that way is worth £10 more...

9 minutes ago, Paddy said:

My mistook! It is a normal N - must have been too early in the morning. Anyway, Coincraft reckon that way is worth £10 more...

I was starting to wonder if it was me. :lol:

I have so much trouble spelling anyway that I probably wouldn't have noticed either way lol :)

• Like 1

Sounds like a bargain a james II farthing for £50

If I ever paid £50 for the farthing....shoot me.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

If I ever paid £50 for the farthing....shoot me.

I think anyone who pays that much for this fugly thing needs more than just shooting :), I'm sure I'll find out soon if I need some ammo.

If it was English Tin I would have it like a shot! I don't do Irish coinage, despite my name.

The normal N variety is much rarer than the reversed N, so that's an even better find.

It may look rough and battered but somebody would buy it. Coins of James II don't turn up often due to his short reign especially these farthings. Nice piece of history , great find!

I am not sure if it of interest in this thread but there is a limerick Half penny James II 1689 listed on e bay at the moment I noticed and it also has the same N not  reversed.  It is a strange character seemingly having been over stamped possibly I suppose on gun money??? apologies if this is not exactly about this topic   

Edited by DrLarry

18 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

I am not sure if it of interest in this thread but there is a limerick Half penny James II 1689 listed on e bay at the moment I noticed and it also has the same N not  reversed.  It is a strange character seemingly having been over stamped possibly I suppose on gun money??? apologies if this is not exactly about this topic   

Yes your correct. Limerick was besieged in 1691. The large issue shillings were restruck as half pennies and the small shillings became farthings i think. 

Edited by Ukstu

6 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Yes your correct. Limerick was besieged in 1691. The large issue shillings were restruck as half pennies and the small shillings became farthings i think. 

oh thanks for that I also as Paddy said do not collect irish coins but they are interesting as part of the historical connections.  I have always wanted a St Patrick's farthing but these days with all the fake ones around it is always a bit of a gamble 

Good read here about variations within the Gunmoney series. Third series covers the half pennies & farthings. 

https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2014/06/15/james-ii-gunmoney-a-photo-blog-of-the-known-variations/

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

interesting it is strange how some parts of history have fascination the Jacobite period being one , thanks I am reading it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Good read here about variations within the Gunmoney series. Third series covers the half pennies & farthings. 

https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2014/06/15/james-ii-gunmoney-a-photo-blog-of-the-known-variations/

Thanks Stu, that was indeed a good read!

• Like 1