British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi there I am new to the forum and hope this is the right place for this post. I recently brought this coin but I am struggling to identify exactly what it is. 

It seems to be some sort of a coronation medal or coin from 1821. It is 40mm in diameter and weighs around 26g but it does have a hole cut into it. I have tested it with a rare earth magnet and it doesn't appear to be silver. It says July 19 1821 on it. 

I have searched google and can't seem to find a similar coin or medal anywhere. 

Any suggestions as to what it is would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

small.jpg

20180712_094213-600x1067.jpg

20180712_094219-600x1067.jpg

Edited by Bvan
could not upload photos initially

I am not sure how far you will get with this, apart from the obvious: It is a coronation medallion for George IV, who was crowned on 19th July 1821 in Westminster Abbey. I would guess the metal is the cheap medal making white metal based on a Tin alloy that is often used for cheap medals of the time. The letter K beneath the bust may be a clue to the designer, but I do not know who it refers to.

With that great ugly hole in it, I suspect it has little value - you might get a few pounds from one of the George IV fans out there. (And yes, these people do exist - I had a German lady follow me on Ebay for years who would bid on anything with George IV on it....) 

K could be Henry Kettle & Sons of Birmingham, active until about 1830

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

I had a German lady follow me on Ebay for years who would bid on anything with George IV on it....) 

Sounds like Steffi. She still buys whatever Geo IV I put up, and still takes forever to pay.

Thomas Kettle, not Henry and this is not one of his pieces that I've ever seen before.

6 hours ago, bagerap said:

Sounds like Steffi. She still buys whatever Geo IV I put up, and still takes forever to pay.

I think that was her - right down to the payment difficulties! Always complicated and involved excuses why she can't pay until... somewhen. Then, if you watch to see what else she has bought she has had several other coins off other people and paid them promptly. (That was back in the days when you could track other peoples purchases easily!)

BHM list a white metal 40mm medal by T. Halliday as #1075 which should be fairly common. But since there's no picture in the catalogue it's difficult to be sure if it's the same medal.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:30 AM, Paddy said:

I think that was her - right down to the payment difficulties! Always complicated and involved excuses why she can't pay until... somewhen. Then, if you watch to see what else she has bought she has had several other coins off other people and paid them promptly. (That was back in the days when you could track other peoples purchases easily!)

I was going to say Kelsch? But yes, Steffi. She must have boxes and boxes full of the stuff!!!!

Long live King George.😁

She still uses the Kelsch account, but has started another to confuse unwary sellers. I've blocked her.