British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Undated Mullet James I 6d

Can anyone shed any light on an undated J1 6d? I’ve read through a few BNS journals, but can’t find any mention of undated examples. This one is a PM mullet both sides, and should be around 1610/11 for a date if it had one. 

I know Elizabeth had a rare undated 6d, but anything ever spotted, recorded, for James?

Any ideas, peops?

904DFE9C-28F2-4A7C-832B-4AA07996F403.jpeg

Was there one in the Bole collection? That would be the first place to look. I'll get the 6 catalogues out when I have cleaned up and have a gander.

I can't see anything there. 

Just a thought, but do you know it is a 6d for certain? The shield is proportionally the same on both 6ds and shillings.

12 hours ago, Rob said:

I can't see anything there. 

Just a thought, but do you know it is a 6d for certain? The shield is proportionally the same on both 6ds and shillings.

Thanks, Rob, the obverse is here, a shame about the damage on what could turn out to be an extremely rare coin.

Do you know of any serious J1 collectors, I’m guessing they’re thin on the ground. The coin belongs to a young detectorist who needs a bit of cash for his driving lessons.

BB30A1B6-180B-4E05-9D9F-E1F482D0E5EA.jpeg

You might have the answer once DNW have finished selling off John Hulett's collection. An undated example wasn't on his wants list for James I sixpences implying it is probably not documented anywhere, or he had one. However, I do know that he had a large number of oddballs accumulated over the years and wouldn't bet against him having found one. There wasn't one in Shuttlewood.

Edited by Rob

1 hour ago, Rob said:

You might have the answer once DNW have finished selling off John Hulett's collection. An undated example wasn't on his wants list for James I sixpences implying it is probably not documented anywhere, or he had one. However, I do know that he had a large number of oddballs accumulated over the years and wouldn't bet against him having found one. There wasn't one in Shuttlewood.

Great stuff! Is John deceased, would be good to get in touch with him if not?

8 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Great stuff! Is John deceased, would be good to get in touch with him if not?

Ouija board required I'm afraid. A great deal of knowledge has been lost and needs to be reassembled.

On the plus side, his wants list is a good proxy for what is difficult to find. ;)  

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

Ouija board required I'm afraid. A great deal of knowledge has been lost and needs to be reassembled.

On the plus side, his wants list is a good proxy for what is difficult to find. ;)  

Thanks, Rob, yes, always a shame when knowledge passes out of this world unharnessed. A close friend of mine died a few years ago who could speak German so brilliantly that even Germans were amazed to find out he was English! I know it’s strange, but I couldn’t stop thinking about how that was taken with him, and what a shame that was. Odd I know! :) 

How did you come by John’s wants list, then, were you supplying him as and when you could?

On a final note, it’s looking like the lad has something unheard of by quite a number of us, and that is doesn’t appear to be documented in literature or represented in any of the big collections that we can confirm, John’s the only possible exception at present?

I was in contact with him before I started dealing. Ask a simple question and you would always receive a few sides of A4 by return. :)

The list appeared once I could be of some use. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Ask a simple question and you would always receive a few sides of A4 by return. :)

Not unlike someone else I know on occasion :D 

DNW have auctioned off the last of John Hulett’s collection, apparently, and there wasn’t one in there. 

26 minutes ago, Coinery said:

DNW have auctioned off the last of John Hulett’s collection, apparently, and there wasn’t one in there. 

No, there's more. I'm waiting for 2 or 3 to appear as a minimum. Unless some deal has been done off-market, in which case I'm going to be p'd off.

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

No, there's more. I'm waiting for 2 or 3 to appear as a minimum. Unless some deal has been done off-market, in which case I'm going to be p'd off.

Oh, OK, I might be wrong, but when I was reading about it on their site I got the impression the collection was being dispersed of over 5 sales, the fifth one happening last month?

Well, part 6 is in September.

• Like 1