British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

Darn Horse flies plague this summer

A a townie I have never really come across these evil vicious thugs until last weekend , I am not a big fan of mosquitos either (thank god theres not many in the UK) but these thugs nearly gave me into anaphylactic shock .

If anyone else gets bitten by these critters they have my deepest sypathy

Horsefly.jpg

• Like 8

:o

I got bitten about 3 weeks ago. Usually very careful and always apply Jungle Formula repellent. Took my daughter swimming to the river, one day i forget and i took a bite on my ankle.  

Came up with a huge pus filled blister like a fryed egg. Itchy as hell. I ended up opening it up myself and draining it.

I hate the buggers. I usually get bitten at least once per year , hoping thats the last one of this year. Will definitely be using repellent from now on. 

Guest 123copper

They bit me fifteen times

Year on year problem. I always end up with a massive lump to show for it. One of the rare insects that are more than just a nuisance.

15 times!! Wow

Did you fall asleep? Think the most I've had at once was 3 bites during a camping trip many years ago, one got in the tent. 

I am not surpised you had a bad reaction with that many bites. Hope you feeling better now. 

Had a few insect bites this Summer, but no major league bites as from horse flies. Just a bit red and itchy. 

It’s the clegs that are a pain around here, the brown winged ones. They get me several times a week. Most die.

Jerry

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jelida said:

It’s the clegs that are a pain around here, the brown winged ones. They get me several times a week. Most die.

Jerry

Lots of dead humans all over herefordshire then, must solve the unemployment problem very quickly

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ukstu said:

15 times!! Wow

Did you fall asleep? Think the most I've had at once was 3 bites during a camping trip many years ago, one got in the tent. 

I am not surpised you had a bad reaction with that many bites. Hope you feeling better now. 

antihistamines helped along with pain killers - the usual stuff .

I still cannot believe how weird I felt aparantly they spread nasty stuff with their bites.

I never want to find any ever again

• Like 1

here one

horse.jpg

• Like 1

Anything that has eyes that are 10% of the size of its body has to be a bit weird looking

Yes one chewed a lump out of me the other day and drew blood. I felt guilty about it but I did kill it, I felt the need to. 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

two bites - you were lucky

41 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Lots of dead humans all over herefordshire then, must solve the unemployment problem very quickly

It's allright - they're only Cleggs so they don't count. ;)

• Like 1

Bathing the bitten area with a solution of warm water and epsom salt seems to help. I cleaned my bite up after I'd popped the blister with that. It didn't get infected that's the main thing. 

I think i killed about 6 or 7 on Friday that landed on my tee shirt while i was flying my drone. They won't go near my arms or legs when I've got deet on. 

Edited by Ukstu

11 minutes ago, Peckris said:

It's allright - they're only Cleggs so they don't count. ;)

What about the Compos and Foggys? :o 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What about the Compos and Foggys? :o 

only yorkshire folk don't count then

• Like 1

Nickcleggss are nasty things parasitic in their nature the latch on to bigger things ie labour or conservative

till thier work is done then they fall off the host and die as a party

• Like 2

On 10/07/2018 at 10:28 PM, copper123 said:

two bites - you were lucky

Eeee...we used to _dream_ about getting two bites - luxury......

Incidentally, the cleg approaches silently upwind, and is following the path of exhaled carbon dioxide

to find the mammalian target, so, if you hold your breath for an hour, no bites!!!

Mind you, there may be side effects to this.....