British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

York Coin fair: 20th - 21st July 2018 - a few questions

Seriously thinking of going this year, and may well make purchases. However, I'm wondering if it's best to armed with a wad of notes, or whether dealers are happy to accept a debit card payment. From what I've heard in the past, notes are better, but unsure as to what payment medium is generally preferred/acceptable.   

The other point is whether or not it's on the ground floor, and are there seats placed at convenient intervals? My partner would quite like to come with me, and because she suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, can't do stairs or stand for long periods of time. Needs to sit at reasonably frequent intervals, although only for two or three minutes at most.

If not at ground level, is there a lift? 

Also, is anybody else on here planning to go, either as a visitor or a dealer?

Thanks in advance :)   

Although i have never been Mike ,i speak to a couple of dealers who will be there,some take cards and i know one will always take a deposit if he doesnt know you.

Cash will always be better i would of thought especially for a discount ;)

I hope you find something and have a good day :)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Although i have never been Mike ,i speak to a couple of dealers who will be there,some take cards and i know one will always take a deposit if he doesnt know you.

Cash will always be better i would of thought especially for a discount ;)

I hope you find something and have a good day :)

Thanks Pete :)

Talking about the Midland a few dealers do accept card but cash is king. If you can turn up with notes you always stand a fair better chance of agreeing on a price you both find acceptable.

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 1

Looking in coin news Mike the show is on two floors but there are lifts plus a bar which i would of thought had seating :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Looking in coin news Mike the show is on two floors but there are lifts plus a bar which i would of thought had seating :)

Thanks for that, Pete. Very much appreciated.

York hotels/BB book up very quickly...worth a day out on its own merits.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

York hotels/BB book up very quickly...worth a day out on its own merits.

I know they do, Peter. I think we'd either drive up, or get the train, on the day. Problem with the train is that whatever route we decided to take from here, would necessitate at least one change. My current favourite is to change the once, at Peterborough. 

Are you going? 

Worth being there on the Friday I'm told.

My sister now lives South of Darlington but they are jetsetters.The drive and coin fair would be too much (return journey).I will do a Midland before snow sets in.:)

• Like 1

The fair is on 3 floors with the coins on the upper two (stamps on the ground floor). There is a lift.

There are seats dotted around the dealers tables although generally quite limited.

The bar is situated next to the coin section and this has seating.

It's always a good fair, if you make it I'm sure you'll have a great time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kildonan said:

The fair is on 3 floors with the coins on the upper two (stamps on the ground floor). There is a lift.

There are seats dotted around the dealers tables although generally quite limited.

The bar is situated next to the coin section and this has seating.

It's always a good fair, if you make it I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Again, thanks very much for that useful info @kildonan. Much appreciated. 

I went last year , I think think the winter one is better , just my opinion , I also seem to buy better stuff in the winter - not sure why - are a  few dealers not in attendance due to it being peak holiday season.

12 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I went last year , I think think the winter one is better , just my opinion , I also seem to buy better stuff in the winter - not sure why - are a  few dealers not in attendance due to it being peak holiday season.

Oddly enough, all my best purchases seem to be made in the Winter period, almost without fail - from all sources.    

• Like 1