British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Shortcross Penny - double struck but who is it?

This a long shot I suppose - this broken Shortcross penny was in the same lot as the farthing posted separately. It was fixed between two layers of selotape when I received it, making it completely unrecognisable. I have got the tape off by soaking in surgical spirit and I can now see the king's head on the obverse and what appears to be a hugely double struck reverse. I can make out some letters but not enough to guess at a moneyer. Anyone able to help? I can send full size images if that would help - these have been shrunk to get into the post.

Short Cross 1 Red.JPG

Short Cross 2 Red.JPG

Am usually good with these but brockages are a different ball game i am afraid. I think i can make out LEM being the last letters of the moneyers name and ON CANT on the other half so it's definitely a Canterbury coin.  At a guess I'd go with Willem at Canterbury which would be a Henry III coin but that is a guess. 

I've not seen a brockage that bad before. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Am usually good with these but brockages are a different ball game i am afraid. I think i can make out LEM being the last letters of the moneyers name and ON CANT on the other half so it's definitely a Canterbury coin.  At a guess I'd go with Willem at Canterbury which would be a Henry III coin but that is a guess. 

I've not seen a brockage that bad before. 

defo Henry III, that face is so distinctive, 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, craigy said:

defo Henry III, that face is so distinctive, 

Thanks both for that - I will mark it up as Henry III Willem on Cant then. Once I have popped my clogs I wont mind if someone else decides I was wrong! :D

• Like 1

I find it hard to tell them apart from the King John short cross pennies. (probably because I am a it of a noob when it comes to collecting hammered coins)

Edited by DrP

I posted this one a while back.  Hope it is OK to bump it here. Thoughts on it appreciated. 

45 minutes ago, DrP said:

I find it hard to tell them apart from the King John short cross pennies. (probably because I am a it of a noob when it comes to collecting hammered coins)

It takes a while to pick it up. You need a book really to progress with proper identification of short crosses. Over time it becomes second nature if you handle enough of them. 

Edited by Ukstu

Guest guest 16

The word "Brockage" is mentioned above.

A true brockage has a normal impression of the die on one side, and and incuse impression of the same die on the other side.

This coin is not a brockage. Instead, it is double struck.

7 hours ago, Guest guest 16 said:

The word "Brockage" is mentioned above.

A true brockage has a normal impression of the die on one side, and and incuse impression of the same die on the other side.

This coin is not a brockage. Instead, it is double struck.

Thanks. Duly noted. 👍

Edited by Ukstu