British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

1903 Half Crown - comments please

A friend of mine is considering buying this on Ebay. I cannot see anything obvious to say fake, though the obverse is pretty worn. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDWARD-VII-1903-SILVER-HALFCROWN-KEY-DATE-GOOD-FINE/273336241576?hash=item3fa41c0da8:g:h5cAAOSwr69bLLwF

Can anyone else see any problems with it? Has anyone dealt with this seller before?

Looks safe to me. I've bought a few maundy pieces from them in the past with no problems.

• Like 1

The seller is a Forum member and knows his coins so although i dont know anything about them would feel confident buying from him :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

A friend of mine is considering buying this on Ebay. I cannot see anything obvious to say fake, though the obverse is pretty worn. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDWARD-VII-1903-SILVER-HALFCROWN-KEY-DATE-GOOD-FINE/273336241576?hash=item3fa41c0da8:g:h5cAAOSwr69bLLwF

Can anyone else see any problems with it? Has anyone dealt with this seller before?

I'd say that was almost certainly genuine.

• Like 2

Also looks good to me, although shopping for just the right coin might net a better example for similar price. That one's been dropped a few times...

• Like 1

I've bought from his website and had no problems at all, was very pleased

• Like 1

Makes sense. You should be paying more if you buy the same coin via eBay. 

Get a bit of a sweetner but personally I would want a couple of grades higher..save  until a better one comes along. I've bought and regretted as I'm sure we all have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Get a bit of a sweetner but personally I would want a couple of grades higher..save  until a better one comes along. I've bought and regretted as I'm sure we all have.

I think my friend has come to the same conclusion and is leaving that one for someone else.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

That's the problem with buying a slightly sub standard coin. You always want an upgrade, and when you get one, the first coin becomes a redundant spare.

Unless the coin is of exceptional rarity and unlikely to be offered again in a hurry, at any grade, don't settle for second best.   

• Like 2