British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Look for a reference for this Roman Coin

Hi Folks

Been trying to find a reference for this coin for a while. I believe it is Valentinian, which I am not sure. It has Victory holding a wreath with OF to left field and II to right. The exergue is the mintmark CONST. I have looked at all the RIC pages online, at least the ones I know about, and still haven't been able to find a reference to it.

Thanks

Valentinian poss online.jpg

Been on there Rob, unfortunately can't seem to find a match, unless I have missed something.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel I can make out part of '..ALENTIN..' so you may be right.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Think I have narrowed it down to a variant of RIC IX Arles 9a. Still haven't found or seen another example of the coin.

Obv: VALENTINI-ANVS PF AVG - pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right

This is were it changes a bit:

Rev: SECVRITA-S REIPVBLICAE -Victory advancing holding wreath and palm  - OF in left Field, II in right - CONST (mintmark) in exergue

The spacing of the last S in SECVRITAS after the wreath is not usual. I have also seen numerous single I's and III's in right field but none with II, other than the ones of Valens.

Edited by bhx7