British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Beautiful flint chisel

out detecting last night and this beautiful late neolithic/early bronze age chisel was sat looking up at me from the surface, 

36281896_10155333114661020_9153564941255442432_o.jpg

36329548_10155333114591020_3729761067409080320_o.jpg

36333919_10155333114551020_3290504501370290176_o.jpg

• Like 6

Nice find. Beautiful workmanship on it. Definitely a skilled knapper. I thought it was a thames pick when i first saw it but the workmanships too advanced for the mesolithic period. 

Edited by Ukstu
Typo

3 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Nice found. Beautiful workmanship on it. Definitely a skilled knapper. I thought it was a thames pick when i first saw it but the workmanships too advanced for the mesolithic period. 

it cam from within sight of the Lower Thames

Just now, craigy said:

it cam from within sight of the Lower Thames

Cool. Perhaps people were just following on with the old style or shape. I have a partial broken thames pick but the flake patterns are nowhere as advanced as that. Mine are just singlular strikes creating large one piece flakes. I'd let your FLO look at that. 

Guest craig
7 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Cool. Perhaps people were just following on with the old style or shape. I have a partial broken thames pick but the flake patterns are nowhere as advanced as that. Mine are just singlular strikes creating large one piece flakes. I'd let your FLO look at that. 

after looking around i believe it is a mesolithic thames pick, how cool is that ;0) 

The patina is not right for a mesolithic piece. It could be a Thames pick that's been retouched as they call it. I think possibly someone else found it in the late Neo or early Bronze age and reworked it. Heres mine , you can see what I mean about tranchet flakes. The front edge and 2 side flakes where caused by one strike to the upper highlighted area. Pieces made during the mesolithic were not as well worked as yours. 

I would take it along to your FLO. It could be useful in proving how long the area has been occupied. 

2018-06-28-22-34-31.jpg

Edited by Ukstu

Try and get it looked at. I could well be wrong but either way it's still a very interesting and intriguing find regardless of age. Some FLO will identify by email so no need to send it in.