British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

1944 Brass Threepence What Happened

Picked this up the other day and would like to know what has happened to this. Not come across anything like this before. I am sure one of you will give me the answer. :rolleyes:;)

1944 George VI Brass Threepence Underweight Flan Rev.jpg1944 George VI Brass Threepence Underweight Flan Obv.jpg

Is it of a normal weight and thickness?

7 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Is it of a normal weight and thickness?

It is thinner than a normal brass threepence and weighs 4.07 gms.

It is corroded by whatever method. Dissolving the surfaces in an acidic solution will retain the detail, but this becomes progressively thinner as the corrosion will dissolve the detail perpendicular to the surface at any point, i.e. from the side of lettering too, thus narrowing the character.

This has been discussed several times previously.

• Like 1

Yes, it looks like a classic acid attack. Here's a 1929 shilling:

1929 shilling (acid).jpg

Acid corrosion typically makes the coin thinner, but the detail is kind of still there, though spidery in appearance - it doesn't show the normal wear patterns you'd expect through circulation. That shilling is as thin as a wafer.

It is because you will reduce the surfaces by a roughly equal amount. so if you remove say 0.25mm of metal from the surface, the diameter will reduce by 0.5mm, the thickness will reduce by a similar amount and the removal of 0.25mm from both bevelled sides to a character will result in a thin spidery character just as above. You also see the rim has thinned due to attack from three sides. Another thing I have seen on occasion is a 'moat' around detail which I have put down to metal flow causing stress cracks at the microscopic level allowing the ingress of reagent resulting in a greater amount of corrosion at these points.

Edited by Rob

Thanks, guys for the explanation very interesting. I thought it was something to do with when it was struck, shows how much I know:D Back to school for me then.