British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I bet the Spanish (other countries ) who are geared up for it wonder what we are doing as there is a resevoir on the video next to it and surely it should be used.

We send a tractor out :o

I don't think it is as simple as that. There is a few square miles on fire, so you would still have to run a mile or two of pipes to use it. Yesterday there was a light breeze from the east which is why we were smoked out, but it was probably a good thing as it would drive the fire downhill and towards the city making it easier to deal with. If the wind is from the west then it's miles of moorland and next stop Huddersfield. The peat will keep burning for days because the hills are tinder dry with very few boggy patches remaining.

Yes i am sure its not simple or would be out.They use planes that pick up already filled huge tubs these are then dumped around the edges and have a number of planes being used to allow for them to constantly try and keep on top of it.They also have a chemical or something that is red that they also spray over everything ,the chemical is also an indicator as to were the plane has dropped the water for the next plane that comes a couple of minutes after.

Sure they will soon have it under control as i have all the windows closed here :)

It's clear today. The wind has changed direction.

16 hours ago, Rob said:

It stinks here. The moon is red and the air is like everyone is having a bonfire. It's over a dozen miles away as the crow flies, but the smoke is everywhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-manchester-44612761/stalybridge-and-dove-stone-fire-moorland-reignites

First time I've ever heard of serious fires breaking out on Saddleworth Moor. 

I know it happened during the hot dry Summer of 1976, but that was mainly the New Forest, I believe, and also much later in the season. August. 

No easy way to put them out. Let's hope for rain at the weekend. There is a possibility, but it appears to be uncertain as to how far North it will get.

Got to be a very unpleasant experience, even as far away as you are. Terrible for asthmatics.  

3 hours ago, Rob said:

It's clear today. The wind has changed direction.

We had it through the night and this morning but been to hospital and now i am back all cleared up :)

Terrible for animals / farms and hopefully not reached or damaged any property.

Where is your famous Manc rain? when you want it.

Stay safe Gents....I would head to Southport for a short break.

After a clear morning, the smoke is back again. Can't see Swinton, which is less than 2 miles away.

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

After a clear morning, the smoke is back again. Can't see Swinton, which is less than 2 miles away.

Was just going to post that its back again....Windows shut :)

If everyone around you starts saying "man" and getting hungry, you'll know someones weed plantation on fire ;)

On a more sinister note, I wonder if the extensive burning will reveal anything of the Moors Murders victim locations.

You can clearly see the smoke on this Met Office radar image  as of 19:15 today, 27.6.18, starting on Saddleworth Moor and stretching out Westwards over Greater Manchester in a plume and into the Irish Sea. Shows up well against the otherwise clear skies.  

ETA: you can  zoom in and see where it starts, which is near Glossop on the Derbyshire/Cheshire border. 

Edited by 1949threepence

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

You can clearly see the smoke on this Met Office radar image  as of 19:15 today, 27.6.18, starting on Saddleworth Moor and stretching out Westwards over Greater Manchester in a plume and into the Irish Sea. Shows up well against the otherwise clear skies.  

ETA: you can  zoom in and see where it starts, which is near Glossop on the Derbyshire/Cheshire border. 

The fire is about 3 miles north of Glossop. 

Good news, the wind has shifted round a bit to the north. Now we have clear skies and the large cloud of crap can be seen heading towards the posher areas of south Manchester. :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rob said:

The fire is about 3 miles north of Glossop. 

Good news, the wind has shifted round a bit to the north. Now we have clear skies and the large cloud of crap can be seen heading towards the posher areas of south Manchester. :)

Good news indeed. 

Apparently the army have been called in. 

Very scary- I drove through the LA fires last year- 20ft flames either side of the road, 

sun completely blotted out by the smoke, driving in near darkness on a sunny day,

road covered in debris, praying that everyone just keeps moving to get through it.

These things change SO fast it catches people out.

Latest news does not sound good. The Winter Hill and (I think the guy said Scout Road) fires have combined, with increasing wind strength.

There is heavy rain in the South West of England, but it seems it's unlikely to make much Northwards progress.   

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Latest news does not sound good. The Winter Hill and (I think the guy said Scout Road) fires have combined, with increasing wind strength.

There is heavy rain in the South West of England, but it seems it's unlikely to make much Northwards progress.   

Said heavy rain is preventing me from making my planned trip to mum's for lunch. :( I'd be glad if it went to Saddleworth instead.

I took my drone up to Wiswell moor yesterday.

You could see the smoke off the Winter hill fire on the horizon. I've got friends in Southport who said the smoke was visible there yesterday along the coastline but i suspect thats incorrect as i heard some sand dunes had been lit by a disposable BBQ in Ainsdale. 

JointPics_20180701_135000.JPG

Edited by Ukstu

I lit a portable bbq in ainsdale sands a week ago - I did take home the remains though as I thought it rude to just shove it in a bin in ainsdale .

So not guilty m'lord

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I lit a portable bbq in ainsdale sands a week ago - I did take home the remains though as I thought it rude to just shove it in a bin in ainsdale .

So not guilty m'lord

Edited by Ukstu

Don't know what happened there lol. Was trying to reply back. 

I reviewed my drone footage before and it does indeed look as if it was drifting westwards towards the coast so your off the hook matey 😁

• Like 1

The skies around manchester are blood red every night and I got out at bolton train station today and the whole place stank of smoke

10 minutes ago, copper123 said:

The skies around manchester are blood red every night and I got out at bolton train station today and the whole place stank of smoke

careful in this heat and smoke  if you have respiratory issues.  

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

That's the one that someone started on Winter Hill. It's only a couple miles from the top down into Bolton from Rivington and Belmont, so presumably the smoke rolled down the hill in the absence of any wind. 

It's going to be an ecological disaster this year. The wildlife was already having a hard time of it, and now what few things did manage to raise offspring probably went up in flames. Certainly the grouse chicks will all be gone as they will only a week or so old at the moment. Skylarks, lapwings and curlews are all likely to lose their chicks. The bilberry bushes had no fruit this year, or maybe only the odd berry. Definitely not a year of plenty. :(

:(