British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

What is your opinion of HS2?

The route passes through Kenilworth which is quite close to where I live, and had to go there today. The initial ground works are already in evidence, and the site which will house the rails, is adjacent to thousands of baby trees on both sides. Presumably part of some green initiative. I had started to wonder if anything was happening at all, as the infrastructure was supposed to have started last year, but there hasn't been a peep about it on the news - leastways, not the actual work on the ground.

Of course, phase 1 - to Birmingham - is supposed to be completed by 2026, and phase 2, which branches North East and North West away from Birmingham, is due for completion by 2033. 

My own view is that whilst it may seem a waste of money and a white elephant, there is absolutely no doubt it will relieve a lot of pressure from both the East and West Coast main lines, and hopefully free up a lot of sitting space, which will make train travel a great deal more bearable again. 

No idea what the situation will be with the railways, franchise wise in 2026. Could be wholly state owned again by then, or still in private hands. We will see. But whichever, I hope they simplify the absurdly complicated ticketing system.  

Its an infrastructure project of some worth but one which apparently we can only build with Chinese investment.

Therefore id say its an indicator as to the state of the nation.

Edited by headsortails

Scrap it , expensive and all the firms commited to building it are now non-existant

Since railways consume less land than motorways (50% less or even more?), then I can't say it's a bad thing.

• Like 1