British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Richard2

Elizabeth 6d , what’s the privy mark on reverse

After buying  BCW ‘s book on the silver coins of Elizabeth I at the tower mint I thought I would go through all my Lizzie coins and try and ID them as per the book. This one had me unsure on the reverse Privy mark. Clear enough Ermine on obverse but the reverse is either a blundered Ermine or an over strike , but I can’t make out of what. Can someone enlighten me please.

240CCAAE-59B2-480C-AEC7-FCB3FED5CAE4.jpeg

9C75120D-4B48-4BEB-96EC-7E2CFF7C22A3.jpeg

5C5E0153-0FBB-429C-BA82-22932E8EF3C0.jpeg

I think it is a blundered strike. No privy mark before ermine would fit, it isn't a castle, crown, portcullis, lion, rose or pheon. Maybe an elaborate ermine punch, or a reworked one? 

• Like 1

I've settled on an elaborate ermine mark. The coin below is acorn over ermine, but you can clearly see more than just the three tails as per the obverse for the underlying mark.

153 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Can’t remember where it was documented now, but there were/are a number of different ermine punches, which includes the elaborate version seen on the reverse of the OP coin?

72BE1D6C-A95F-4094-86B6-9729F62C3F6E.jpeg

788E3B4A-5CDA-48DC-B1AB-3EA954248055.jpeg

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 1

Both of you are probably right, the second picture of yours Stuart ,although a bit blurred ,does look like mine. Maybe another one for Chris Comber to look at. Thanks

I have one too.

2018-06-26 08.10.49.jpg

2018-06-26 08.11.11.jpg

• Like 2

Not so unusual then Michael 

9 minutes ago, Richard2 said:

Not so unusual then Michael 

No :)