British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Another interesting (and intriguing) one is why the "L.C.WYON" on the obverse is so difficult to see on obverses 1,2, & 3, because it's partly in contact with the bust. Yet on obverse 4, it's very clearly in a space of its own, but really oddly with the L appearing as an I?

Leading on from that is another mystery. On obverse 5, there is still a recess for the signature, but it isn't there?

Thoughts as to why these variations occurred?

the other issue is that because of the reasons people have raised before the human mind finds it easy I think to search for letters and numerals and the signature L C WYON is an easy one to "lose" having only the O and the C which form a line which is less easily mistaken for cut line in the vertical strokes. L W Y and N can be disguised the N less so a little.  So I am careful not to jump to conclusions unless I have strong evidence.  

Edited by DrLarry

One of the most interesting aspects to looking at coins differently is that you begin to be aware that what appears to be a flat surface of even depth across a coin face is in fact not the case in many designs.  Yes of course you have the rise of the design but if you look with a lot of care you begin to see "mounds" and depressions.  I have often looked in these areas as areas of activity.  Working on the basis that some kind of change may correspond to these areas of alteration, often reduction in the field and this has lead to speculate on what the impact of these "changes" would have on the die and its practical use and life eventually leading to die failures.  It forces the question about the "technical difficulties" during the first couple of years.  If we read the diaries correctly it took Wyon 6-8 months to have the dies ready and delivered. If the changes are radical enough then you have to ask how long to prepare a new set with the design which is workable.  Can anyone who has them tell me if the dies of the 1862 half penny A B C type vary and if so how and also in the 1863 numbered dies? are the dies different in any way other than the numbers and the letters.  I have found it strange and difficult to understand is why the letter A around the lighthouse changes its position a few times.  I assume that a set of dies marked with an A had some difference to dies set with a B and a C or else why refer them as dies C and B . 

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Another interesting (and intriguing) one is why the "L.C.WYON" on the obverse is so difficult to see on obverses 1,2, & 3, because it's partly in contact with the bust. Yet on obverse 4, it's very clearly in a space of its own, but really oddly with the L appearing as an I?

Leading on from that is another mystery. On obverse 5, there is still a recess for the signature, but it isn't there?

Thoughts as to why these variations occurred?

sorry I meant to type Leonard LEONARD not Lawrence 

obverse 5 is an odd one, I got a 5+g 1861 penny, noted stuff in the place, not letters but what looks like border teeth. hard to explain.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Indeed, there was a Reverend who assembled a noteworthy collection.

Rev E Rogers was the name which escaped me yesterday, although looking at Peck, there were a number of others.