British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1900 penny 9 over gap

Was reading Davids book last night and didn't get very far lol page 13  " There are reports of a 1900 penny where the 9 in the date ends of a gap between border teeth" . I looked at all the specimens online and after 100's of comparisons all of them have the tail ending at the border tooth So as you do go and look through the small assortments that I have well knock me down with a plastic trident I had one all of my own in the forgotten or not really looked at tube of Pennies. Are these rare and does it have an ID reference? thanks in advance for any info :) 

1900gap.jpg

1900.obverse.jpg

1900.reverse.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz

Better picture ;) 

19009gap.jpg

Your 9 ends on a tooth.

Lmfao. ok if you say so. Do you do it on purpose or are you actually looking to piss me off with a ridiculous comment??? What a f-ing Moron

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Lmfao. ok if you say so. Do you do it on purpose or are you actually looking to piss me off with a ridiculous comment??? What a f-ing Moron

Whatever your view on another forum member’s opinion the above post is entirely inappropriate and you should remove it or apologise for your language and personal abuse. We do not always have to agree but we do have to disagree in a civil fashion.

Jerry

• Like 10

Zookeeperz, we don't want abusive comments here. Maybe you would be happier on another forum.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

I think I speak for everyone that Peckris is a wealth of knowledge and very far from being a 'f-ing moron'.

It's unecessary to talk to people like that, so please don't.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I think I speak for everyone that Peckris is a wealth of knowledge and very far from being a 'f-ing moron'.

It's unecessary to talk to people like that, so please don't.

Hear, hear.

A mate, a gentleman, and an expert on all aspects of 20th century English coinage.

• Like 3

Where did that come from Zookeeperz? Peckris is sound as a pound and really does know his stuff.

• Like 4

I suppose it all depends how you define the end of the 9 : the bottom of the 9 is definitely over a tooth, but the very end of the tip is nudging into a space. 

Yes well that was my observation on the two pictures the tip extended or is the tip removed or broken? Not a coin I've ever really taken much notice of. 

20 hours ago, Peckris said:

Your 9 ends on a tooth.

Although in that example above, the end of the nine does indeed point to a gap, or appears to.

Just looked at my 1900, and the pointed end tip of the nine definitely points to a tooth 

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Although in that example above, the end of the nine does indeed point to a gap, or appears to.

Just looked at my 1900, and the pointed end tip of the nine definitely points to a tooth 

It's  quite a lairy issue. There apparently are - or were when examined minutely in 1970! - 4 different varieties of the 1957 calm sea halfpenny all depending on the PRECISE pointing of the 7, and how pointed its tail is. I've  not seen any discussion of it since then, and anyway things like this depend absolutely on the coin being a minimum EF, or else wear can cloud the issue.

Edited by Peckris

3 minutes ago, Peckris said:

It's  quite a lairy issue. There apparently are - or were when examined minutely in 1970! - 4 different varieties of the 1957 calm sea halfpenny all depending on the PRECISE pointing of the 7. I've  not seen any discussion of it since then, and anyway things like this depend absolutely on the coin being a minimum EF, or else wear can cloud the issue.

It is indeed !

• Like 1