British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I notice all the wooden coin cabinets on the Royal Mint website are on backorder. Is this anything to do with the pandemic and people have found more time at home taking up the hobby? I heard Warhammer figure collecting has soured recently. As for coins I was hoping to get them cheaper with the mistaken belief people will generally tightening their belt because of fears of being laid off during these tough times but the opposite is true with prices actually going up.

There are always plenty in coin auctions although it's often not clear what size coins the trays are drilled for.

That is quite a beast! The pictures of the crane used to get it out of it's old home brings home quite what a task it would be to install.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

I cannot conceive how wealthy I would have to be to not want to spend the money on coins instead. :blink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

I cannot conceive how wealthy I would have to be to not want to spend the money on coins instead. :blink:

You're already there - you have a house, a car, you go on holiday, you save for a pension etc etc. All of which you have already determined are more desirable than buying coins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

You're already there - you have a house, a car, you go on holiday, you save for a pension etc etc. All of which you have already determined are more desirable than buying coins.

These things are a bit more important than a box to keep them in though. :)

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, secret santa said:

There are always plenty in coin auctions although it's often not clear what size coins the trays are drilled for.

Very true. 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

There's a HUGE difference between 'desirable' and 'necessary'.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 4:02 PM, Peckris 2 said:

There's a HUGE difference between 'desirable' and 'necessary'.

'Necessary' is a very small box in the context of life. 'Desirable' on the other hand covers a multitude of sins, many of which are conveniently shifted into the 'necessary' box to justify the expenditure. You only have to look at the vast amount spent on vanity and ego to see that. How much is spent on clothes that never get worn? How many people feel the need to be seen in a high end motor, and for how many is it necessary expenditure? For a few it will be a spacious car with seating at bum level for ease of access on account of physical issues, but for the vast majority it will be a case of 'because I can afford it', or 'look at me'. Once you have risen above the destitute, this blurring affects all levels of society, so I'm not sure the safe is any different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob said:

'Necessary' is a very small box in the context of life. 'Desirable' on the other hand covers a multitude of sins, many of which are conveniently shifted into the 'necessary' box to justify the expenditure. You only have to look at the vast amount spent on vanity and ego to see that. How much is spent on clothes that never get worn? How many people feel the need to be seen in a high end motor, and for how many is it necessary expenditure? For a few it will be a spacious car with seating at bum level for ease of access on account of physical issues, but for the vast majority it will be a case of 'because I can afford it', or 'look at me'. Once you have risen above the destitute, this blurring affects all levels of society, so I'm not sure the safe is any different.

But three of your 4 examples were house, car, and pension. Sorry, but those really are necessary (though car could be managed without IF you live in a city AND you don't have a family).

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, Peckris 2 said:

But three of your 4 examples were house, car, and pension. Sorry, but those really are necessary (though car could be managed without IF you live in a city AND you don't have a family).

Yes, if you're on your own you can manage without a car (maybe get a pushbike, e bike, or motor bike instead). But you're spot on about a house and pension being necessary. These days both are priceless commodities.

I really feel for generation rent who in many cases will always be in rented accommodation. They'll never get the capital together for a deposit. There but for the absolute grace of God.........

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

rented accommodation

luxury,

I remember when.......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Diaconis said:

luxury,

I remember when.......

...our dad murdered us every night before we had to go and work for 25 hours a day licking the lake dry wi' no food or drink before we went home to our shoe box. And you try telling that to young folks today. They won't believe you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Even though I've already got a Peter Nichols Mascle cabinet from 2010, and a Rob Davis cabinet bought in 2019, I'm now in the position where I need another cabinet to house more coins as I'm running out of space in the last Rob Davis cabinet. 

So I'm going to buy another Rob Davis cabinet. I am extremely pleased with the one he built for me in 2019. The trays are an absolute perfect fit, whereas one or two of the Nichols trays are a tad stiff. Also he's way cheaper than Nichols, and the finished product is arguably superior.

The one I'm going to buy is here. A four small trays dropdown. The mahogany version is £165. 

Whatever wood forms the cabinet casing, his trays are exclusively mahogany for coin protection. The one I bought in 2019 has a cherry casing.

If I'd known in 2010 how much my collection would grow in 11 years, I'd have invested in one very large cabinet back then. Now I'll have three separate ones, each housing different parts of the collection.   

Yes, very nice cabinet 

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

If I'd known in 2010 how much my collection would grow in 11 years, I'd have invested in one very large cabinet back then. Now I'll have three separate ones, each housing different parts of the collection.   

Why not see if there’s interest in the smaller cabinets on here and then order a big one? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

Yes, very nice cabinet 

Why not see if there’s interest in the smaller cabinets on here and then order a big one? 

Hmmm......it's certainly a thought.

Coins and coin collecting are a luxury and an indulgance , mind you a few on here certainly think it adds to their lives

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, copper123 said:

Coins and coin collecting are a luxury and an indulgance , mind you a few on here certainly think it adds to their lives

I think whatever you find enjoyable adds to your life - and I certainly do find numismatics a thoroughly enjoyable and fascinating hobby.  

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, 1949threepence said:

Yes, if you're on your own you can manage without a car (maybe get a pushbike, e bike, or motor bike instead). But you're spot on about a house and pension being necessary. These days both are priceless commodities.

I really feel for generation rent who in many cases will always be in rented accommodation. They'll never get the capital together for a deposit. There but for the absolute grace of God.........

It's a matter of choice for individuals what they spend their money on. I have a couple of rentals locally, both of which I have offered to the tenants to buy should they be looking for a house. If they are happy living there, then buy the property. One doesn't want to buy, the other couple do. Of the latter, the bloke has an unpaid debt of £23 which he now regrets. It's not revolutionary, but it helps if you live your life responsibly. The changes in the law regarding bankruptcy and outstanding debt judgments 15 or 20 years ago sent out all the wrong messages as it encouraged irresponsible spending habits.

Generation rent can accumulate a deposit if they ditch the requirement for instant gratification. What you can't afford, you don't buy. The only thing I would consider borrowing for is a house. Travelling the world, buying the latest hi-tech gadget, even borrowing to go to university to get a degree that in practical terms you wouldn't need in the case of 'softer' courses, are all expenditure that could be put towards assets. It's the difference between buying things that will have a resale value or not.  

11 hours ago, copper123 said:

Nearly all hobbies start off as luxuries and indulgences.But some (not me though) do eventually become expert enough to make some money from their interests. Others just do it for the fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It's a matter of choice for individuals what they spend their money on. I have a couple of rentals locally, both of which I have offered to the tenants to buy should they be looking for a house. If they are happy living there, then buy the property. One doesn't want to buy, the other couple do. Of the latter, the bloke has an unpaid debt of £23 which he now regrets. It's not revolutionary, but it helps if you live your life responsibly. The changes in the law regarding bankruptcy and outstanding debt judgments 15 or 20 years ago sent out all the wrong messages as it encouraged irresponsible spending habits.

Generation rent can accumulate a deposit if they ditch the requirement for instant gratification. What you can't afford, you don't buy. The only thing I would consider borrowing for is a house. Travelling the world, buying the latest hi-tech gadget, even borrowing to go to university to get a degree that in practical terms you wouldn't need in the case of 'softer' courses, are all expenditure that could be put towards assets. It's the difference between buying things that will have a resale value or not.  

I certainly agree with you in terms of university courses, many of which do not now meet the needs of most employers, and merely saddle the student with long term debt. Moreover, most organisations now have their own entrance tests as they can no longer rely on traditional academic qualifications as a guarantee of basic competence.  

Houses are a slightly different matter. I was extremely fortunate to inherit a house and some capital in my early 20's. But without that I'm pretty sure that on the income I was receiving at the time, it would have taken me a number of years to scrape together a deposit for a house, and then, of course, be looking at a hefty 25 year mortgage. House prices have risen at a rate well in excess of normal inflation, probably due to many fewer being built annually, combined with a rising population. Way too many people chasing way too few houses. Same with renting, too many renters chasing too few available rental properties. Both markets are red hot. I do appreciate what you say with regard to making sacrifices and I'm pretty sure a lot do. They have to, as only a very small number will ever benefit from the bank of Mum & Dad. 

A mate of mine has been in the construction industry since he was 16 (he's now 42, the same age as me). He started off as a builder's labourer, and gradually built up his skills (got some practical qualifications, but not sure what). He can now pretty much turn his hand to anything, including bricklaying, plastering, electrical work, plumbing, and could probably build his own house. He's quite well off and lives in a very nice property with his wife and daughter. But he tells me that he is in the minority, and would be even more so if he was 16 now. They just can't get new recruits as young people just want to go to university. They are currently haemorrhaging skilled workers to retirement, and they retire much earlier in that trade as it's often physically demanding work which takes its toll on backs, knees etc.

So respectfully, I don't think that generation rent is as simple an issue as you assert. Far from it. 

18 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I certainly agree with you in terms of university courses, many of which do not now meet the needs of most employers, and merely saddle the student with long term debt. Moreover, most organisations now have their own entrance tests as they can no longer rely on traditional academic qualifications as a guarantee of basic competence.  

Houses are a slightly different matter. I was extremely fortunate to inherit a house and some capital in my early 20's. But without that I'm pretty sure that on the income I was receiving at the time, it would have taken me a number of years to scrape together a deposit for a house, and then, of course, be looking at a hefty 25 year mortgage. House prices have risen at a rate well in excess of normal inflation, probably due to many fewer being built annually, combined with a rising population. Way too many people chasing way too few houses. Same with renting, too many renters chasing too few available rental properties. Both markets are red hot. I do appreciate what you say with regard to making sacrifices and I'm pretty sure a lot do. They have to, as only a very small number will ever benefit from the bank of Mum & Dad. 

A mate of mine has been in the construction industry since he was 16 (he's now 42, the same age as me). He started off as a builder's labourer, and gradually built up his skills (got some practical qualifications, but not sure what). He can now pretty much turn his hand to anything, including bricklaying, plastering, electrical work, plumbing, and could probably build his own house. He's quite well off and lives in a very nice property with his wife and daughter. But he tells me that he is in the minority, and would be even more so if he was 16 now. They just can't get new recruits as young people just want to go to university. They are currently haemorrhaging skilled workers to retirement, and they retire much earlier in that trade as it's often physically demanding work which takes its toll on backs, knees etc.

So respectfully, I don't think that generation rent is as simple an issue as you assert. Far from it. 

Just as a corollary to the above, house prices have risen by 10.2% in the last year - SOURCE - ONS

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Just as a corollary to the above, house prices have risen by 10.2% in the last year - SOURCE - ONS

House prices have risen nearly 30% in my area in the last year allbeit from a low base.According to zoopla anyway.

My god this thread would be at home in the daily Mail

Edited by copper123
  • Haha 1