British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

24 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I picked up a small coin cabinet at auction today - appears to be mahogany, so that is OK. Label on the back says "The Stamp & Coin Shop, 3 Norman Road, St Leonards-on-sea, SX." There is also a cipher - "N" in a circle and rectangle. Anyone know much about this maker/retailer?

That's Peter Nichols - possibly the best known of the modern era cabinet makers?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peckris said:

That's Peter Nichols - possibly the best known of the modern era cabinet makers?

OK - sounds good then? I bought it "Because it was there" and I will probably end up selling ti on as I keep my own coins in albums.

That will be a Peter Nichols cabinet, though he is now retired and the business is run elsewhere .

http://www.coincabinets.com/index.html

You should find it here. Nice cabinets, I have five!

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

That will be a Peter Nichols cabinet, though he is now retired and the business is run elsewhere .

http://www.coincabinets.com/index.html

You should find it here. Nice cabinets, I have five!

Jerry

It appears then that I have a Standard Annulet model. Condition is great but no key, so I will have to get that fixed.

A  standard wardrobe key will suffice.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 6:29 PM, Peckris said:

Absolutely, and arguably the best for the price, although there are some other excellent cabinet makers around.

• Like 1

Mahogany use today are generally not of the quality of the so call "big leaf" mahogany that is banned since around 2003. I've notice Nichols cabinets particularly the larger ones made after 2003 are constructed from joining more than one piece of wood to make up the size. In older Nichols cabinet multiple construction are only present on the back of the cabinet were it is not often seen.

3 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

Royal Mint is now selling coin cabinets. I wonder who is making these?

They look virtually identical to the Nicholls cabinets - either he's got himself a good contract with the RM or they've bought his  designs (in which case I do hope they include an acknowledgement somewhere on the finished item).

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

They look virtually identical to the Nicholls cabinets - either he's got himself a good contract with the RM or they've bought his  designs (in which case I do hope they include an acknowledgement somewhere on the finished item).

Although of course, it won't be Peter Nichols himself, as he's retired, at least from cabinet making. His business was taken over and is now run by a Nottinghamshire family. 

They do, however, look very much like the typical Nichols cabinet.

I do, meanwhile, like the look of the cabinets made by Rob Davis who himself, is a coin collector. 

• Like 1

Although similar there is notable departure from the current Nichols cabinet. There is no mention of a RM edition on their facebook which you would expect though its not the first time a cabinet maker sold their cabinets through different companies. Would not surprise me there will be a RM label on the back and no indication it came from Nichols.

I do like this design as it looks like a homage to the old turn of the century Spink cabinet.

5 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

Although similar there is notable departure from the current Nichols cabinet. There is no mention of a RM edition on their facebook which you would expect though its not the first time a cabinet maker sold their cabinets through different companies. Would not surprise me there will be a RM label on the back and no indication it came from Nichols.

I do like this design as it looks like a homage to the old turn of the century Spink cabinet.

What is it?

30 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What is it?

A couple of things strike me, the most significant being the strip of wood across the front of the trays, similar to Swann. Also Nichols tend towards piano type hinges these days. But of course they could be manufacturing to a specific design.

And Taikonaut may be referring to something else.

Jerry

• Thanks 1

Most modern coin cabinet are directly or indirectly an evolution or inspired from those marketed by Spinks in from the late 19th century. The wooden door beading and wood across the front of the trays did not originate from Swann but cabinets made popular when Spink was selling them. Other dealers such as Lincoln also sells these cabinets and they were all most likely made by the same company.

This is a Nichols cabinet made for the British Museum with a Spink cabinet style locks which differ from the RM cabinet

2018%2B13:40:29

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gents.

I was speaking with Rob Davis yesterday on the phone about buying replacement felt discs for a cabinet of mine and he mentioned that he is making the cabinets for the Royal Mint.

56 minutes ago, Richard2 said:

I was speaking with Rob Davis yesterday on the phone about buying replacement felt discs for a cabinet of mine and he mentioned that he is making the cabinets for the Royal Mint.

Yes, he told me the same thing when he delivered the cabinet I ordered from him, earlier this year. 

• Like 1

Has anyone own a Swann cabinet? It frequently turns up in auctions, unsprisingly not as plentiful as Nichols because Swann seems to have stop trading long ago.

Apart from a few details online I like to know more. Has anyone ordered cabinets from Tim Swann? I read online that he came out of retirement in 1975, became cabinet maker to the Queen in 1988 and died in 2007. When did he stop making cabinets alogether? Unlike Nichols cabinets which I have got use to seeing many and can make a good guess on when they were made but Swann had me stumped.

1 hour ago, Taikonaut said:

Has anyone own a Swann cabinet? It frequently turns up in auctions, unsprisingly not as plentiful as Nichols because Swann seems to have stop trading long ago.

Apart from a few details online I like to know more. Has anyone ordered cabinets from Tim Swann? I read online that he came out of retirement in 1975, became cabinet maker to the Queen in 1988 and died in 2007. When did he stop making cabinets alogether? Unlike Nichols cabinets which I have got use to seeing many and can make a good guess on when they were made but Swann had me stumped.

I would venture that it's extremely unlikely you'll ever get a definitive answer to that question. We know he died in 2007, and had continued working until Parkinson's Disease prevented him from doing so. Given that Parkinson's can follow a long drawn out course, it's probable that he didn't just suddenly stop, but gradually wound down.

Tim Swann continued to work until the onset of Parkinson’s prevented him. He is survived by his wife of 59 years, two daughters and two sons.

Tim Swann, cabinet maker, was born on March 11, 1925. He died on June 13, 2007, aged 82

The above is an extract from a tribute article about Swann in The Times, 21.7.07.

Incidentally, you've probably cottoned on anyway by now, in view of subsequent posts, but in answer to your question of 3.8.18, I'd say the cabinet you posted was made by Rob Davis who does now make cabinets by appointment to the Royal Mint. I've got one myself, and given the superb quality of his work, it's absolutely no surprise to me that he's landed such a plum contract.  

Admittedly I don't buy many coin magazines but the ones I do have dated from 1980 till more recent I never come across adverts from Swann but lots from Peter Nichols. And before the age of the internet how did collectors able to buy his cabinets? I can only guess Swann was most active before I started collecting in the late 70s. His comming out of retirement in 1975 maybe only to help make cabinets for museums, royalties and friends but not on a industrial scale. I don't know, its all a guess?

I never own one of Rob's cabinet so difficult to comment but they look nice. The RM is offering them for sale but until they uses them themselves and also in museums that is were the endorsement really count.

On 7/16/2018 at 10:25 AM, Rob said:

Maybe it is only specific species of oak that are a problem. Or maybe it depends on how well the wood is seasoned, as you will be losing volatiles from the minute the tree is cut down.

Copper123 - Where is the confusion? A post is infinitely more helpful than an emoji. We are here to help. :)

7 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

Admittedly I don't buy many coin magazines but the ones I do have dated from 1980 till more recent I never come across adverts from Swann but lots from Peter Nichols. And before the age of the internet how did collectors able to buy his cabinets? I can only guess Swann was most active before I started collecting in the late 70s. His comming out of retirement in 1975 maybe only to help make cabinets for museums, royalties and friends but not on a industrial scale. I don't know, its all a guess?

I never own one of Rob's cabinet so difficult to comment but they look nice. The RM is offering them for sale but until they uses them themselves and also in museums that is were the endorsement really count.

Well they may do so already, but even if not, don't forget that Swann is no longer around, so when they do need new cabinets, they''ll undoubtedly come from Rob Davis. 

Or they may go with Nichols. Museums are very heritage conscious plus they already  make cabinets for the BM, Fitzwilliams and many other museums. I sort of recall when I spoke with Peter Nichol's wife back around 2001 she said they were one of only two coin cabinet makers working in the traditional manner in the country and the other maker practically wound down his operation already. It could be Swann she was referring to.

Personally I think its good to have more cabinet makers, they need the competition and can only benefit collectors.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:25 AM, Taikonaut said:

A couple of Swann's cabinets being auctioned by DNW 12/13th February 2020 - link  

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

A couple of Swann's cabinets being auctioned by DNW 12/13th February 2020 - link  

I spoke with Richard Bishop from Spinks and he confirm they use Swann from 1970 until they cease trading in 2000.  In my opinion these cabinets looks like they were very late towards the company cease trading because earlier cabinets looks pale and not as grainy. I think later cabinet the wood started to resemble Nichols maybe the choice starting to become limited? Also notice the smaller cabinet using more then one piece of wood to build up the size on the side. I never seen that in a Swann but could suggest large mahogany becomming scarcer when it was made.