British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Has anyone out there any experience of coin cabinets made by Rob Davis? If so, what is your opinion on them.

Not encountered him before, but his website is here 

Quality and price good, as far as I can tell.. 

Guest Fuzzygoat

Hi I have one and another on order, they are beautiful, I went for walnut with mahogany drawers and it is stunning.

I also have an original Peter Nichols and Robs if far better made hence why I’ve ordered a second and will be selling the Nichols.

he isn’t quick but definitely worth the wait.

Thank you. You can't beat personal recommendation!

only buy mahogany or rosewood...just saying. 

Any other wood will feck your coins.

Walnut.....AVOID...can't believe it STAY CLEAR.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Any other wood will feck your coins.

So will mrs brown

???????:unsure:

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

???????:unsure:

She uses that word "feck" all the time.

You're spot on though Peter. Mahogany is the only usable wood.  

Not having a clue , why would Walnut and any other wood than Mahogany be so bad please ?

Or reading the thread again Rosewood as Peter mentions.

I am really interested , how can a piece of wood damage a coin ,i have never seen a coin described as having wood damage and surely there is a lot worse things to keep them in .

Edited by PWA 1967

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not having a clue , why would Walnut and any other wood than Mahogany be so bad please ?

Or reading the thread again Rosewood as Peter mentions.

I am really interested , how can a piece of wood damage a coin ,i have never seen a coin described as having wood damage and surely there is a lot worse things to keep them in .

I've copied and pasted this for you, Pete:-

Storage
The ideal, but admittedly the most expensive,
method is the coin cabinet, constructed of airdried
mahogany, walnut or rosewood (never oak,
cedar or any highly resinous timber likely to cause

chemical tarnish). These cabinets have banks of
shallow drawers containing trays made of the same
wood, with half-drilled holes of various sizes to
accommodate the different denominations of coins.
Such cabinets are handsome pieces of furniture
but, being largely handmade, tend to be rather
expensive. Occasionally good specimens can be
picked up in secondhand furniture shops, or at the
dispersal of house contents by auction, but the best
bet is still to purchase a new cabinet, tailored to
your own requirements. These collectors cabinets
are hand-made using certifi ed solid mahogany, as
specifi ed by leading museums, as mahogany does
not contain any chemicals or resins that could
result in the discolouration of the collection inside

the cabinet. The polish used on the outside of the
cabinets is based on natural oils and hand applied
then fi nished with bees wax. The trays are left as
untreated mahogany so as not to introduce any
harmful contaminants. The coin trays are available
as single thickness or double thickness for holding
thicker coins, capsules or artifacts.

From Coin Year Book 2017.

Apparently walnut is OK though, according to that.

13 hours ago, Peter said:

only buy mahogany or rosewood...just saying. 

And if you're not like Trump (which applies to all of us? :D) , i.e. you have at least minimum concern about the environment, check that your cabinet uses either recycled or sustainably sourced mahogany.

Thanks Mike for the above reply.

I had read that they were not advisable before although not any reason as to why or evidence to back it up..

Has anyone ever noticed or seen this chemical reaction ,does it change the colour in a specific way ?.

I believe the tannins in oak, as an example, turn silver black Pete.

Edited by Nonmortuus

2 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

I believe the tannins in oak, as an example, turn silver black Pete.

Thanks Paul ,as i said i have not got a clue but you collecting silver will know.I wonder if thats what it does with all coins.

I keep my duplicate coins in an old oak cabinet and never noticed any sign of enhanced toning of silver coins. In fact I was hoping

in might.

DSC00882.JPG

• Like 2

Maybe it is only specific species of oak that are a problem. Or maybe it depends on how well the wood is seasoned, as you will be losing volatiles from the minute the tree is cut down.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I keep my duplicate coins in an old oak cabinet and never noticed any sign of enhanced toning of silver coins. In fact I was hoping

in might.

DSC00882.JPG

That Oak looks highly lacquered - maybe it is blocking the release of the tannins that tone the coins. Maybe it was well seasoned also as mentioned above. :-) 

Has anyone ever seen a collection or even one coin that has been damaged or toned unaturally by the cabinet please ?

Edited by PWA 1967

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Maybe it is only specific species of oak that are a problem. Or maybe it depends on how well the wood is seasoned, as you will be losing volatiles from the minute the tree is cut down.

I agree with Rob. You would expect the out gassing to reduce over time so if the cabinet is question is made from freshly cut and dried oak I would imagine it would have more of an impact than a cabinet that's a 100 years plus old.

It has to be said the cabinet is late 18th C. early 19th C. but you can still smell the timber from the draw linings which are again oak.

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Has anyone ever seen a collection or even one coin that has been damaged or toned unaturally by the cabinet please ?

I have seen coins kept in a modern oak display case that have had black blotches and unattractive  toning after a few months (was on a FB page I am on ,and the were modern decimals ,so there was no harm done lol). It was probably the fact that it was new , modern wood is kiln dried and not seasoned properly .The tannins also leach out through time , so an antique case will probably have been made safe a long time ago .

7 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

I have seen coins kept in a modern oak display case that have had black blotches and unattractive  toning after a few months (was on a FB page I am on ,and the were modern decimals ,so there was no harm done lol). It was probably the fact that it was new , modern wood is kiln dried and not seasoned properly .The tannins also leach out through time , so an antique case will probably have been made safe a long time ago .

Thanks Mick......I was beginning to think it didnt happen as nobody had seen one :)

I picked up a small coin cabinet at auction today - appears to be mahogany, so that is OK. Label on the back says "The Stamp & Coin Shop, 3 Norman Road, St Leonards-on-sea, SX." There is also a cipher - "N" in a circle and rectangle. Anyone know much about this maker/retailer?