British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Is it a fake £2 coin the Post Office gave me?

Hi Team,

This is my first post. I have a number of questions about some old coins I inherited but first I wondered if you can tell me if this is a fake or tru £2 coin, given in change from the Post office? The central disc on one side is silver coloured. On the Queen's head side it is roughly the same colour as the outer ring. Here is a video of the coin for you to have a look  coin vid

Would welcome how to proceed

Thanks 

Sorry tried to insert film

Edited by Adrian
failed to embed vid

Hi Adrian, just a picture of each side would probably serve better than a video. :)

I agree it looks a little odd, but that said, the detail looks very good on the coin which in my experience isn't usually the case with fakes.

Under the Queen's head it should have IRB (or less likely for 2015, JC).  The Edge inscription should be "Standing on the shoulders of giants", and should be centred well, not offset to either side.

The reverse of this coin should have all cogs well formed and detailed. In forgeries, the cogs appear somewhat more rounded and less defined, and the design in the centre circle is normally far less detailed than that displayed by the genuine coin.

The forgeries dated 2015 are considerably better than their earlier counterparts, and actually get much closer to the correct weight, so weighing it possibly wont help.

Seeing decent resolution images of obverse, reverse and edge inscription would definitely be better than a video.

Are you just guessing what it looks like Kev , i cant see any video or pictures :D

Okey doke, on its way :) The inscription on the side appears central and ok, but you and see that the join between the two metals has very little beading and appears to be a small gap

WP_20180618_15_30_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20180618_15_29_46_Pro.jpg

Edited by Adrian
didnt finish

looks fine to me

• Like 1

Me too.

I'm not so sure, but I can't put my finger on why. I guess it's the divvy in me.

Aliexpress do stock some extremely good repros though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bi-metallic-2015-2-POUND-The-Final-Issue-IRB-RARE-Replica-UK-commemorative-coin/32312450153.html

Bi-metallic-2015-2-POUND-The-Final-Issue

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

Thank you all,

That aliexpress coin is frighteningly realistic and shows the lack of beading on the join. Still if anyone wants it for £50 :) otherwise I may find a vending machine heheh!

You have been very helpful.

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Are you just guessing what it looks like Kev , i cant see any video or pictures :D

The video in the link worked :)  fortunately. My crystal ball broke and I didn't see it coming lol.

• Like 1